Comp Cams Vs MPG?

04DSGAZMACH

Established Member
I'm not sure where to post this on the forums but here it goes. I'm looking to install a set of Comp Cams XE262AH-114 (106100) on my mach one and just curious what "stage" cams these are? Also is anyone running cams on a N/A daily driver with 4.10 gears or stock gears? If so what is your MPG average. I do mixed driving to and from work and I average about 21.5 consistently. Thanks!

-Tim

JeromeMach1

Established Member
I believe those are stage I cams.

My car has custom cams (230/228, 113 LSA) in it and is my daily driver. It gets roughly 15mpg around town and 23mpg on the freeway. The car has 4.30 gears.

Jerome

04DSGAZMACH

Established Member
I think you are right, I think they are stage one and the XE270AH-114 (106400) are stage two. If you don't mind me asking how did you get to your rwhp number? Where did you get a custom grind for your cams and how much do you have tied into your build again if it is not too much to ask. If so, no harm now foul, just kind of curious as to what kind of budget I will need. 15/23 is pretty damn good for 4.30 gears, a stroker and cams.

-Tim

Last edited:

04DSGAZMACH

Established Member
does a big bore/stroker motor net you that much more hp? I realize his numbers aren't solely based on the big bore but I am curious. I'm on here trying to strategize and learn.

JeromeMach1

Established Member
The following is my set up:

FRPP aluminum Big Bore block
Cobra crank, Manly rods, Diamond pistons (10.1 CR)
Ported 03 Heads
Custom cams (specified by Modular Performance, manufactured by Bullet)
Ported short Runner Intake by NAZ (9.8 inches)
Oversized valves
SLP long tubes, off-road x-pipe, Magnaflow cat-back
Electric water pump
Underdrive pulleys
19 degrees of timing
TR55's gapped at .050in
91 octane

The complete motor cost right at $10K. This is because of a few reasosn. One is I purchased this block when it first came out from Ford. It cost about $3500, crazy. The other reason is because I did not do any of the work myself.

Later this year I will be adding a striker kit, upping the CR, and adding a new set of custom cams.

Jerome

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
I really never understood the point of this question .... If you gona be concern about mpg , then a 4cyl car will be a better option .. Most likely you gona get 19/15 .... :beer:

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member
ive never heard anyone call the series a "stage" cam. Either way, idk about your mpg, but your horsepower numbers should be 340-350 rwhp, maybe more with a good exhaust set up and air filter

04DSGAZMACH

Established Member
With Just cams and 4.10 gears 340rwhp? I'm a little skeptical about that but I hope you're right. Regardless I do plan to put a full SLP exhaust system from headers all the way back to the exhaust tips without cats on the X-pipe, a 90mm LMAF, 4.10 gears, Comp Cams 106100s, light suspension work and a dyno tune. I ordered my first mod for my car yesterday (JLT Ram-Air) and am pretty excited to put it on as my car is bone stock and I have had it since February which is pretty unheard of for me because I mod every car/truck I own lol. The reason I am even remotely concerned for gas mileage is the fact that it IS my daily driver and I want a genuine all around 12 sec street car. I'd be more than ok with 17-19 MPG of mixed driving with cams but just wanted to see what ball park range I'd be in. Thanks guys.

04DSGAZMACH

Established Member
LOL I like your thought process however having lots of money is not an option for me, I'm not a trust fund kid or a CEO just a simple Jet engine mechanic trying to build a mach and buy an engagement ring... Your car sounds likke the setup I want Bmeagher

Mach828

Established Member
If your concerned about gas mileage. Drive slow, and shift each gear at 2,000 rpms. And don't go above 2,000 when on the freeway. There you go.

Bmeagher

Seriously Northern
Established Member
LOL I like your thought process however having lots of money is not an option for me, I'm not a trust fund kid or a CEO just a simple Jet engine mechanic trying to build a mach and buy an engagement ring... Your car sounds likke the setup I want Bmeagher

I'm only a Ford Tech, and once upon a time i bought a supercharger.....but i had to sell it so i could buy a $5000 engagement ring. Cams are only 1100, i picked the cams that use stock springs.

Last edited:

04DSGAZMACH

Established Member
Yeah that is why I want to go with the 106100's, because they utilize the stock springs and I'll have to pay someone to install the cams because I am not Car engine confident enough to install them. Where is everyone getting ported intakes and FR500 intakes? I found one place that sells them but they want like $1200 for a ported stock intake and that is crazy. I feel your pain about the prices of engagement rings, I think about how that money would be spent on my car but in the end the engagement ring is the better investment.

04DSGAZMACH

Established Member
Whatever happened to Nazty performance? I know NA SVT does porting of stock intakes for like 650 but what are the other options? Also when I get my Cams, is it beneficial to have the cam gear set too or are the stock specs for the 106100's good enough? Thanks for all the help guys, I really don't want to throw a blower on this car.

Users who are viewing this thread