• Welcome to SVTPerformance!
ATTENTION!
You may experience intermittent issues while accessing the site over the next 60-90 minutes, as we perform maintenance and upgrades.

Comp Cams for 2003 Cobra

Discussion in 'Tuning À la carte' started by carguy96, Apr 18, 2021.

1. carguy96

carguy96 Active Member Established Member

I’ve got my motor apart, and I’m wanting to cam it.
    I’d like to get a set of comp cams, but I’ve spoken to a few people about if the current “stage 3” cams need valve reliefs, or if I can use my stock pistons.
    I also want to get an idea of the driveability
    Is actually going to suffer as much as some people have told me it might after it’s tuned.

Does anyone have any info on this?

2. NateDogg

NateDogg Terminator Established Member

I would contact Todd Warren and have him custom spec you a set specifically for your set up. He can set up a grind that will work for exactly what you want

SVTdreamin04 likes this.
  3. SVTdreamin04

SVTdreamin04 What's a "Termi"??? Premium Member Established Member

I’m running stage 2 comp cams in my car, and I wouldn’t want to go any bigger myself. They make great power on the top end and the car doesn’t surge or feel gutless on the low end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. 03cobra#2

03cobra#2 Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies Established Member

I am running Comp Cams Stage III XER Blower cams that I installed and degreed myself. Couple thoughts. I was able to install them on my stock heads, and stock block no problem. I did decide to do the matching valve springs at the same time. I don't know this for a fact but their design has been out for a long time and I feel that a custom grind would probably yield more power as the design and specs won't be as antiquated and the Comps. I was able to dial n my tune and drivability is good, but I will say that when I degreed them per the cam card specs I get about 10-11 hg in of vac at idle. Luckily I have a low vac bypass installed on my Whipple so it is not a problem, but if you do cams you will need a low vac boost bypass to that your car idles / drives ok.