Comp Cams for 2003 Cobra

carguy96

Established Member
I’ve got my motor apart, and I’m wanting to cam it.
I’d like to get a set of comp cams, but I’ve spoken to a few people about if the current “stage 3” cams need valve reliefs, or if I can use my stock pistons.
I also want to get an idea of the driveability
Is actually going to suffer as much as some people have told me it might after it’s tuned.

Does anyone have any info on this?

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m running stage 2 comp cams in my car, and I wouldn’t want to go any bigger myself. They make great power on the top end and the car doesn’t surge or feel gutless on the low end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I am running Comp Cams Stage III XER Blower cams that I installed and degreed myself. Couple thoughts. I was able to install them on my stock heads, and stock block no problem. I did decide to do the matching valve springs at the same time. I don't know this for a fact but their design has been out for a long time and I feel that a custom grind would probably yield more power as the design and specs won't be as antiquated and the Comps. I was able to dial n my tune and drivability is good, but I will say that when I degreed them per the cam card specs I get about 10-11 hg in of vac at idle. Luckily I have a low vac bypass installed on my Whipple so it is not a problem, but if you do cams you will need a low vac boost bypass to that your car idles / drives ok.

old01cobra

Established Member
I got some custom grind my own. All the blower cam vs NA vs Turbo vs nitrous seems like a selling gimmick to me to be honest. When I spec'd mine it was NA so I have a extremely tight LSA 109 the specs are a little larger than the XER blower cams. Nothing sounds better than a Big cammed blower car. Plus with these engines you can always play cam swap from intake to exhaust so you have reverse capabilities with whatever LSA you want to run. All that crap about ohh you'll bleed boost off down low who cares a blower builds power with RPM especially a centri style. Anything that improves top end NA power will improve top end FI power. My vacuum sucks ass 7-9 at idle when it was NA but the blower help now acts like a scavanging pump now itll hit 10 etc which really helps the oil control rings now.

Users who are viewing this thread