Common issues with the 13's and 14's ?

CobraG

Established Member
I was wondering if any of y'all have had some of the same issues I have with my 2013. And if you have, what did you do to fix it?

- Vibrating rear view mirror (not due to the stereo), vibrates while driving.
- Front bumper cover pops loose, after driving the car I have to pop the bumper cover back on, I put my knee against it and pop it back in.
- The plastic part under the motor is almost completely gone. I've had to cut off/remove parts of it due to it dragging or causing vibrations in the floor.
- The hose that connects the wind shield reservoir (behind the passenger side tire) broke free, so I used zip ties to hold that in place.
- Looks like the plastic part for the wheel wells is loose.
- Bad O2 sensors.
- Idle bounces up and down (what's that about?)

I think it's a POS, but my wife really likes it so I guess I'll keep it. It does have some mods that makes it pretty bad a$$ (LT's, X pipe, MagnaPacks, JLT, MGW, Lund Tune, although I have yet to load the tune and I got it back in May). I guess I just need to take the time and MONEY to fix it.
I bought it used in 2016 with some of the issues, my bad for not checking it out more, that won't happen again. I will own it by the end of this year, so there's that.
It sits in my building about 95% of the time. When I get near it I get kind of mad due to all the issues. My wife wants me to fix it so I pretty much have an open account for the fixes. Just having a hard time bringing myself to do it.
Anyone else have anything similar?
-End Rant

CobraG

Established Member
So headers and a cai and you haven’t loaded the tune? Interesting.

Pick your poison.

Car didn't come with a handheld when I bought it. I know it must have had a tune, but by who and when I don't know. It's a 2013, I bought it used Oct 2016. It was kind of a knee jerk decision the night I bought it.

cheeser

Established Member
The only issue I had with my 13 was the passenger side visor light staying on...easy fix with replacement visor light assembly from Tasca.

I do have a persistent P219A code error (bank imbalance) after the VMP supercharger, but working through that.

Sounds like the previous owner was pretty hard on it.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I had no issues with my 2013 Mustang.
Car ran like a top, even though I didn't put many miles on it.

SVTXTC

Established Member
I was wondering if any of y'all have had some of the same issues I have with my 2013. And if you have, what did you do to fix it?

- Vibrating rear view mirror (not due to the stereo), vibrates while driving.
- Front bumper cover pops loose, after driving the car I have to pop the bumper cover back on, I put my knee against it and pop it back in.
- The plastic part under the motor is almost completely gone. I've had to cut off/remove parts of it due to it dragging or causing vibrations in the floor.
- The hose that connects the wind shield reservoir (behind the passenger side tire) broke free, so I used zip ties to hold that in place.
- Looks like the plastic part for the wheel wells is loose.
- Bad O2 sensors.
- Idle bounces up and down (what's that about?)

I think it's a POS, but my wife really likes it so I guess I'll keep it. It does have some mods that makes it pretty bad a$$ (LT's, X pipe, MagnaPacks, JLT, MGW, Lund Tune, although I have yet to load the tune and I got it back in May). I guess I just need to take the time and MONEY to fix it.
I bought it used in 2016 with some of the issues, my bad for not checking it out more, that won't happen again. I will own it by the end of this year, so there's that.
It sits in my building about 95% of the time. When I get near it I get kind of mad due to all the issues. My wife wants me to fix it so I pretty much have an open account for the fixes. Just having a hard time bringing myself to do it.
Anyone else have anything similar?
-End Rant
AFE21B3E-D12D-4315-8667-513F86AA7D41.jpeg

TType85

Established Member
59K miles on my 13 and i have none of the issues you listed. The only thing I have had is when I take the key out sometimes it keeps beeping like I left the key in until I put the key back in and take it out.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
I've had one issue with my '14
The power window motor was weak/failing on the driver side. Rolling it down It would stop just 1/2 above the top of the weather stripping. Another press and its make it all the way down.
Got my stang new though.

Sent from my Note9

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Most of the issues you listed are common. Mine has 11k miles and the rear view rattles as well as the glove box. I believe they revised the front control arm bushings in late 13, some owners reported squeaking over bumps from the control arms.

The front bumper clips are garbage, I have had my bumper off a few times and one of the clips broke on the bumper itself, luckily the other one holds it just fine. The splash shield under the car is rather cheap and easily tears. I'm running a tubular radiator support and have it zip tied up. If you ever do a k member you will have to modify it or remove it completely.

Every Mustang I have ever been in has creaked and rattled a little. As mine gets more miles I'm sure it will follow suit with the rest. I look as it as it's just the nature of the beast. With that said all the stangs have been in have been reliable

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

CobraG

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I am in the dilemma of either fixing it or just letting it sit in my building. My wife loves the car for some reason, of the 6K miles that have been put on it since Nov 2016 she has probably put around 5K on it. Taking it to Louisiana and back. It sit's at 28K miles now, just low enough I could probably get a decent trade in for it.
Or, keep it and fix the problems. I'll own it this year, so it's one less car payment. I've had other Mustangs, some had little problems here and there. Never had one with this many problems. I think I feel a little taken by the dealership too, $24K for a car that is falling apart. But, that's my fault for buying it. And it can be fixed, just needs a little TLC.
Just not sure I want to invest the time and money. When I could just trade it away for a "turn key" car.
Anyway, thanks again. Nice to have some place to vent, wife gets kind of mad sometimes when I vent to her about the car.

Riptide

Established Member
My 14 car has had the mirror issue, also solved with the o-ring between the mount and the glass. I also had one of the plastic clips on the front bumper passenger side plastic mounting bracket break last time I pulled the bumper off the car.

arena314

Established Member
my 11' gt has just over 57k now purchased at 49k has been pretty good to me. not a daily but was for about the first 6 months of me owning it. no rattles from the interior whatsoever. I bought it bone stock and have done quite a bit of mods. i have had to replace 2 o2 sensors but that wasnt till after my longtubes were put on and it's a common issue with headers. I wouldnt blame the car for aftermarket part issues. I think my car was pretty much kept in a garage by the first owner then driven a lot on the highway by the 2nd owner and I'm the 3rd. I do get the cold mt82 2nd gear nibble until its warmed up but it sure as hell shifts nice at 7600 rpm lol. your car may have been through a little bit of neglect but sounds like stuff that's fixable and worth it. also ive had sync 1 act up a couple times but not enough to complain about

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraG

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I need to take mine to get it fixed, I almost did last month, but then forgot. Its one of those out of sight out of mind things. My car sits in a building that I don't go to often, unless we're getting out yard equipment.
I made a list of things to do, just need to start doing them. I think it's been sitting for 2 months straight now, probably need to at least go start it.

CobraG

Established Member
I don't have the knowledge or desire to fix it myself to be honest. I'd rather just take it to someone and let them fix it.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Only issue I have had was the factory cooling fan plug decided to burn up. It's a very common issue after looking it up so fix it now before it leaves you stranded somewhere.

SVT Rob

Established Member
Ive got the mirror vibration/rattle on my '13 GT, just never looked too much into the best way to fix it. Turn the stereo up louder, or roll the windows down and listen to the roar of the exhaust :p Thanks for the tips above, I'll likely get that fixed before the new year, now!

Currently have 93k miles on the car, at 80k I replaced both front O2 sensors with Ford Motorcraft OEM pieces due to the drivers side going out. I just replaced the drivers side again, after 12k miles, since it died on me. I used the good one from the passenger side, from the last time I did O2 sensors. Now I have a pair of cheap Bosch new ones sitting on the shelf, for when it happens again.

I do have some clunking in the front end, if I crank the wheel too hard, when backing up. Figure it's probably time for strut mounts and I'll replace those when I do the Strange 10-way adjustables this spring.

Other than that, I've not really had any problems out of it. It's a full bolt-on car, has run an 11.89 @ 121 on the stock summer tires, I drive it every day year round, rain/snow/sun, and has been my daily since I bought it in 2016.

2014gtcs

Established Member
My only issues are the airbag light coming on and staying on, it's between the cab lights and the puddle lamp emblem has spider cracking when viewed on the ground.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread