Colorado guys

19turbo95

Established Member
Hello. I'm looking into opening a performance and automotive shop in the Denver Metro area with the focus on Dyno tuning. I come from a Mustang background so will be focusing on that market first. What to get some feedback from people on a couple things.

What do you look for most in a performance/repair shop working on your car?

What things do you not like about the current shop you use? ( please no shop names)

Thanks.

einehund

Established Member
I don't like that I have to drive to Denver to go to a good shop.... Wish the Springs had a good shop... sorry that doesn't help you much.

19turbo95

Established Member
I don't like that I have to drive to Denver to go to a good shop.... Wish the Springs had a good shop... sorry that doesn't help you much.

Yeah that does stink. But sometimes it's worth traveling to make sure you get good service and someone treats your car right. I was possibly thinking somewhere down highway 83 since the area is getting developed and no reputable shops in between the Springs and Denver. Revolutions Performance in the Springs is hands down one of the best shops to take your car too. They did previous work on my car and was very impressed.

cheapertokeephe

Established Member
Here are some things to consider:

1. Honesty. An honest shop gets my business every time. For example, if you quote me a price or time frame then make an effort to meet it. If you tell me $1,000 + two weeks then that's what I expect. If you break or damage something on my car then confess to it and make things right. And don't make promises you can't keep.
2. Timely and effective communication. I hate it when a shop never calls me or returns my calls.
3. Post your labor rates and costs (for generic services like oil changes) so there is no confusion or surprises when the customer picks up their car.
4. Don't price gouge your customers or overinflate estimates (see #1).
5. Don't use a person's deposit to float your business.
6. If you don't understand how to run a business find a partner who does or learn how to do so. In my experience it is always better to over estimate expenses and under estimate revenue.
7. Hire a great accountant.
8. Make sure you have plenty of cash flow for when business is lean (see #6).
9. Provide value to your customers.
10. Hire employees who “get” your business.
11. Take care of your employees.
12. Great customer service matters.
13. If you are going to have a web presence, then make sure to use it and not let it be a worthless webpage that does not provide value to you, customers or prospective customers.

Btw, I hope you are successful because we need a good shop along the front range. Sadly there aren’t any (that I have dealt with) right now. For example, I drove all the way to Hastings, Nebraska to have VMP install their 2.5” pulley, idler pulley, and run my ‘stang on their mobile dyno. They did great work and have a solid rep so I drove 6 hours each way (I might have driven to FL to see them). Next up is a few new tunes from them and maybe a supercharger upgrade. Imagine if a local shop could do what they do and treat their customers the way they do? I guess I wouldn’t need to drive 12 hours for a pulley install and dyno session.

Last edited:

19turbo95

Established Member

1. Honesty. An honest shop gets my business every time. For example, if you quote me a price or time frame then make an effort to meet it. If you tell me $1,000 + two weeks then that's what I expect. If you break or damage something on my car then confess to it and make things right. And don't make promises you can't keep.
2. Timely and effective communication. I hate it when a shop never calls me or returns my calls.
3. Post your labor rates and costs (for generic services like oil changes) so there is no confusion or surprises when the customer picks up their car.
6. If you don't understand how to run a business find a partner who does or learn how to do so. In my experience it is always better to over estimate expenses and under estimate revenue.
13. If you are going to have a web presence, then make sure to use it and not let it be a worthless webpage that does not provide value to you, customers or prospective customers.

Btw, I hope you are successful because we need a good shop along the front range. Sadly there aren’t any (that I have dealt with) right now. For example, I drove all the way to Hastings, Nebraska to have VMP install their 2.5” pulley, idler pulley, and run my ‘stang on their mobile dyno. They did great work and have a solid rep so I drove 6 hours each way (I might have driven to FL to see them). Next up is a few new tunes from them and maybe a supercharger upgrade. Imagine if a local shop could do what they do and treat their customers the way they do? I guess I wouldn’t need to drive 12 hours for a pulley install and dyno session.

Thanks for your feedback. What you have listed is exactly my goals and thoughts. I work at a shop now with a owner that is a business genius so I have learned over the years the correct ways to run a successful business. I've invested a lot of money in myself from service manager training to EFI tuning. I have used several shops here in town and been let down so many times. Can't get honest answers, lied too, and crappy work. Very frustrating to say the least.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member

I agree with all of this, though I tweaked the (priority) order of things a little...
1. Honesty. Don't make promises you can't keep.
2. Great customer service matters.
3. Timely and effective communication is a must. (See #2)
4. Provide value to your customers.
5. Post your labor rates and costs (for generic services like oil changes) so there is no confusion or surprises when the customer picks up their car. (See #1-4)
6. Don't price gouge your customers or inflate estimates (See #1, 3, 4, & 5).
7. Hire employees who “get” your business.
8. Take care of your employees.
9. Don't use a person's deposit to float your business.
10. If you don't understand how to run a business find a partner who does or learn how to do so. It's definitely better to over estimate expenses and under estimate revenue.
11. Hire a great accountant.
12. Make sure you have plenty of cash flow for when business is lean (See #9-11).
13. If you are going to have a web presence, use it to provide value to you and your customers. (See #1, 3, & 5)

hurststang

Established Member
It would be nice to have another shop around. I had great luck with a shop in Littleton but its always super busy. Keep us posted on the out come.

ZOSO

colorados baddest eaton
Established Member
It's a tough market to get into. When your good at what you do you will have cars lined up and cant get things done in a timely manner. You can hire all the help you want to get things done in a timely manner but then 95% of the time the quality turns to crap. There is a shop in the springs as mentioned revolutions. I know over the years there have been a handful of shops that have tried and the good shops are still around. For me if i want the best service then i dont mind waiting. The best way to make it is have a few good wrenches that can crank the jobs out. have a good tuner. have a good accountant. and have a very knowledgeable person just to answer the phones and call backs/schedule along with a little tech support. So if your gonna be a one or 2 man shop your gonna get buried. Plus you already have 3 good "mustang" shops around to compete with.

Good luck with your adventures if you choose to do so.

cheapertokeephe

Established Member
It's a tough market to get into. When your good at what you do you will have cars lined up and cant get things done in a timely manner. You can hire all the help you want to get things done in a timely manner but then 95% of the time the quality turns to crap. There is a shop in the springs as mentioned revolutions. I know over the years there have been a handful of shops that have tried and the good shops are still around. For me if i want the best service then i dont mind waiting. The best way to make it is have a few good wrenches that can crank the jobs out. have a good tuner. have a good accountant. and have a very knowledgeable person just to answer the phones and call backs/schedule along with a little tech support. So if your gonna be a one or 2 man shop your gonna get buried. Plus you already have 3 good "mustang" shops around to compete with.

Good luck with your adventures if you choose to do so.

What good 3 "mustang" shops do we have in Colorado? I haven't run across any yet.

ZOSO

colorados baddest eaton
Established Member
P.M'd you guys since the OP doesnt want names dropped in here.

AlanHam13

Boosted95
Established Member
Hello. I'm looking into opening a performance and automotive shop in the Denver Metro area with the focus on Dyno tuning. I come from a Mustang background so will be focusing on that market first. What to get some feedback from people on a couple things.

What do you look for most in a performance/repair shop working on your car?

What things do you not like about the current shop you use? ( please no shop names)

Thanks.

Let me know if you open up! My cobra needs some work haha.

I really think it's important to call customers for updates and return calls as well! I hate when a shop says "everything should be done by 5pm I'll give you a call by then" and then no call back! :fm:

Also, give customers options and suggestions! HONEST ONES...

Other than that, good luck!

19turbo95

Established Member
Let me know if you open up! My cobra needs some work haha.

I really think it's important to call customers for updates and return calls as well! I hate when a shop says "everything should be done by 5pm I'll give you a call by then" and then no call back! :fm:

Also, give customers options and suggestions! HONEST ONES...

Other than that, good luck!

Communication is huge and that's where a lot of shops fail at. I have realized over the years of working at a shop a customer is okay with leaving their vehicle longer than they thought as long as you inform them and keep them updated. Check your PM box.

LAC

Established Member
Turbo I drive 300 miles to get to Denver to put my cars on the dyno,or get tuned. If you get started let us know,there is always room for another good shop.

2013RaceRed

Established Member
I just relocated to Colorado Springs guys and need to have my 04 Cobra retuned for the altitude so anyone that has experience with good/great shops please PM me with your experiences and recommendations ASAP. Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread