Coilovers issues

blownfox

Established Member
I recently installed MM coilover kit front and rear . Car rides nice but it noisy as he'll from the front. I did clearance the inner stock tower like the instructions said but it must not have been enough. Has anyone gone coilover then back to a spring like H&R? I have the front H&R spring I bought years ago but never installed. What is the down side to running coilovers in the rear only and a traditional spring in the front?

Thanks

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
usually if anything people run coilovers in the front and traditional coil in the rear.

I would double check the clearance on that tab, see if you can see any other rubbing and then give MM a call. One of the main reasons people seem to go with MM is because their coilovers dont make a bunch of noise.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
What noise is it making? I run MM up front and they are usually quiet. The only time I hear anything is when the spring maxes out briefly, while going over a hole slowly.
I have 10" springs though. I bought some 12s but haven't installed them yet.

blownfox

Established Member
Creaking noise then a clunk. The cluck is from the tab but the creaking im not sure of...maybe the spring. These are on the 12 inch springs.

I had them on my 93 cobra and they were great. No clearance issue on the tab on the driver side. I'll pull the coilover out again and get a bigger hammer this time.

blownfox

Established Member
Yeah that tool isn't the best. The location of the tab does help either. Will probably grind the tab flush with a dremel tool and put some white paint on it so it won't rust.

If that doesn't work, is there any issue with leaving the coilovers in the rear and traditional springs in the front?

I know people normally do the opposite.

blownfox

Established Member
Front are 325 10" spring. I posted 12" earlier
Rear are 475 8" spring

Street car.

DCguy

Established Member
Front are 325 10" spring. I posted 12" earlier
Rear are 475 8" spring

Street car.
That's a soft enough rear spring rate (assuming you still have IRS) to not cause any issues if you were to switch back to a stock location front spring setup....however, not ideal as the rear end will still feel quite stiff compared to the front. I would troubleshoot some more I bet its an easy fix- if you cant figure it out just find a local mustang shop and they should be able to sort you you out....

01yellercobra

Established Member
Run a touch more negative camber. It'll give you the clearance you need. I didn't quite bend the tab enough when I installed mine and it would do the clunk, pop you're talking about when the camber was close to stock. I'm now running -1.5 degrees and it doesn't hit. I'm also running MM control arms that widen the front track. If you have a stock set up you might not need as much negative camber.

The plus side is the camber helps in the turns. I've had these setting for probably around 7k miles with no noticeable extra tire wear.

Users who are viewing this thread