Coilover help

jman37

Established Member
I'm not necessarily sure this is a problem, but to me it seems like it is. I replaced my qa1's with some Strange struts, still using the qa1 springs, and the UPR front kit. Put the new bearings on the top, new hat etc, installed them the same way I took them out.

However, on the last thread on the bottom, which would be the lowest setting, my car has about a 4" gap between the wheels now. With the qa1's it was lower than that, probably close to stock strut height. I have the shocks on the softest setting and have bounced the front end a few times to try to loosen the shocks up a bit with no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this would be the case? Am I missing something here? The qa1 struts were in bad shape which is why I changed them. I wanted to go a little lower than previously but now seems to be sitting higher on the lowest setting.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
it would appear that they are not compatible. can you post the part numbers for the two things you have combined?

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
maybe post a pic of the wheel off with the control arm resting on the jackstand so we can see whats going on.

jman37

Established Member
Didn't even think of that. Can try to get one tonight or tomorrow morning and report back.

jman37

Established Member
maybe post a pic of the wheel off with the control arm resting on the jackstand so we can see whats going on.

Well, I and tech support at Strange came to the conclusion the spring is what's holding it back. Took everything apart this morning, no binding of any parts and everything was as it should have been. The qa1 springs are 14" and 250lbs, which is rather heavy. I'm going to buy some UPR 12" springs and I haven't decided on 150 or 175lbs yet.

SteedaGT

Keebler Racing
Established Member
Well, I and tech support at Strange came to the conclusion the spring is what's holding it back. Took everything apart this morning, no binding of any parts and everything was as it should have been. The qa1 springs are 14" and 250lbs, which is rather heavy. I'm going to buy some UPR 12" springs and I haven't decided on 150 or 175lbs yet.
I have Strange struts on my ‘04 and with 14-150’s, I couldn’t get the car high enough in the front. It was tucking tire all the time. Changed to 14-175’s and it’s perfect now.

12-175’s may be too short. 12-250’s would probably be okay, more of a handling type spring over a drag style spring.

jman37

Established Member
I have Strange struts on my ‘04 and with 14-150’s, I couldn’t get the car high enough in the front. It was tucking tire all the time. Changed to 14-175’s and it’s perfect now.

12-175’s may be too short. 12-250’s would probably be okay, more of a handling type spring over a drag style spring.

Hmm, Strange said 12-150's would work, but I think I'd want 175's. My buddy has a 93 with the 12-175s and his is right around where I think I'd want mine. Now you have me with a dilemma lol.

SteedaGT

Keebler Racing
Established Member
Hmm, Strange said 12-150's would work, but I think I'd want 175's. My buddy has a 93 with the 12-175s and his is right around where I think I'd want mine. Now you have me with a dilemma lol.
TRZ and BMR both recommended the 14-175’s to me. Told me the 150’s were way too light for the sn95 chassis.

I’m not sure how the 12-175 would react. I do have the old 14-150’s in the garage if you wanted to try them. Just pay whatever for shipping.

With the 14-150’s, the adjuster collar was less than 1” from the top of adjustment and I was using a lot of force to get the collar to turn anymore upward (12” spring possibly better here), but even with (3) aluminum spacers on the top hat, it still tucked tire.

jman37

Established Member
TRZ and BMR both recommended the 14-175’s to me. Told me the 150’s were way too light for the sn95 chassis.

I’m not sure how the 12-175 would react. I do have the old 14-150’s in the garage if you wanted to try them. Just pay whatever for shipping.

With the 14-150’s, the adjuster collar was less than 1” from the top of adjustment and I was using a lot of force to get the collar to turn anymore upward (12” spring possibly better here), but even with (3) aluminum spacers on the top hat, it still tucked tire.

Thanks, I appreciate the offer. I think I'm going to try 12's, since the car is so damn high on 14's right now lol. I think I can get away with 12's and be fine still.

Users who are viewing this thread