Coil Over suspension question?

Roots25

Roots25
Established Member
Hi, I am brand new to autocrossing and road racing. My dad raced for years and its my turn to step into the racing world. I have an 86' GT mustang with an aftermarket K member to lighten and free up some space. I need to go with a coil over kit.

My question is what is going to give me the best handling for my buck. I don't mind spending extra dollars to get a car that handles. Ive doing a 5 lug conversion also and wasn't sureif there would be any hick ups with that.

thanks soo much

chris

wheelhopper

Established Member
My first question for that fox body is, have you upgraded the brakes? Fox brakes sucked.

As far as bang for the buck, I would not spend anymore money on mods, except for safety and maintenance stuff. Right now your car can probably handle more than you can throw at it. At least wait till you have done 1 event to find out.

Be prepared to make this hobby a big part of your life. It is addictive.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
My first question for that fox body is, have you upgraded the brakes? Fox brakes sucked.

As far as bang for the buck, I would not spend anymore money on mods, except for safety and maintenance stuff. Right now your car can probably handle more than you can throw at it. At least wait till you have done 1 event to find out.

Be prepared to make this hobby a big part of your life. It is addictive.

The only mod I can recommend for someone new is MAYBE brake cooling ducts.

Other that that, you will be best served to keep that money in your Open Track account for entry fees, motels, fuel, brake pads, brake fluid and street compound tires.

As you can see that stuff is not free, and can slow down your progress as a driver, if a shortage of funds caused by a coil over purchase prevents you from doing, even one more track event.

You will be far better equipped to decide and have far better contacts to ask advice from after doing 3 or 4 two day events.

Seriously, get some seat time under your belt and you will see what we mean in just the first day.

This is not a put down, we have all been there, we really do want you to get the maximum fun out of this!

Which at first is all about the driver mod.

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
What Jimmy said.

Now, if you have the kmember in and can't drive it until you get coilovers, thats another story.

I have been very happy with Maximum's. You might find the car handles a bit strange with coilovers in front and stock springs in back though. Give them a call. They have always been happy to provide advice, and understand you can't buy everythihg at once.

Other than that, have fun at the track :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread