Coil Over suspension question???

Roots25

Roots25
Established Member
Hi, I am brand new to autocrossing. My dad raced for years and its my turn to step into the racing world. I have an 86' GT mustang with an aftermarket K member to lighten and free up some space. I need to go with a coil over kit.

My question is what is going to give me the best handling for my buck. I don't mind spending extra dollars to get a car that handles. Ive doing a 5 lug conversion also and wasn't sureif there would be any hick ups with that.

thanks soo much

chris:rockon:

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
Im not sure about spring rates and different things but you could probably read up on the differences online somewhere.

Coil Over Kits are pretty easy to come by. If you already have a k member you may wont to stick with the brand K member as you do coilovers and a arms but you will also need caster camber plates, and a bumpsteer kit.

I would look into alum rack bushings. Upgrade your brake system (and the 5 lug conversion shouldnt have any issues as log as you get all the neccesary parts)

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
you want to go griggs! here is why...http://www.griggsracing.com/suspension.html

to change the rear suspension you need to purchase the entire kit. however you can purchase the front suspension in stages. one stage is to put the front of the car on adjustable koni coil overs. the next stage would be the full kmember set up.

for your needs i would suggest the rear and the first part of the strut front set up.

if your curious as to what there suspension does check this out.
[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=AzpDOFOvdek"]YouTube - Griggs GR40 Mustang at Virginia City Hill Climb[/ame]

Last edited:

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
I know Griggs and MM are king, but what do you guys think about UPR C/Os?

I'm poor and can't afford MM and Griggs.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
i would not get anything for performance.

if you want a better look, just get shorter springs. just remember they will take away travel, and provide a harsher ride. the handling of the car will not improve.

and just to let you know the mm cars usually follow the griggs at the races.:beer:

MFE

Established Member
I know Griggs and MM are king, but what do you guys think about UPR C/Os?

I'm poor and can't afford MM and Griggs.

It's kind of hard to **** up a front coilover kit, yet I would (and did) still go with MM. Kind of says something when the copycat's instructions are so shitty that everyone points you to the MM website for the instructions they're kind enough to publish.

That said...there is NO improvement more cost-effective than seat time in the car you have, as is, with no improvements. Save your money while you drive it the way it is, THEN put the right mods on it from the right company that fit the ruleset you nees to meet for whatever class it is you choose. Seriously. Ask any autocrosser worth his salt and see if they say anything different.

KC Region Street tire and Street Modified Autocross champion '99-'02

Users who are viewing this thread