Codes with kooks "green" cats?

12-Bstang

Established Member
I pulled the trigger on a pair of kooks 1 7/8" long tubes, and their "green cat" boss H-pipe. They advertise that these will not throw any codes, but I've been getting "CAT insufficient" codes from both banks? I contacted Kooks, and they said a few cars have been having issues, and they are working on a fix. Anyone else with the problem, or hear from Kooks in reference to a fix?

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
Is it the 402 & 403 codes? If so, it needs a tune for the header and h combo which is a no biggie, it doesn't hurt the car but it could run so much quicker with a tune and without the code thrown.

Last edited:

12-Bstang

Established Member
Is it the 402 & 403 codes? If so, it needs a tune for the header and h combo which is a no biggie, it doesn't hurt the car but it could run so much quicker with a tune and without the code thrown.

Both codes. I realize the potential gains from tuning, but I need to save some coin to get it tuned. The reason I paid substantially more for the green cat option was so I could drive it without codes.

mycroft

Established Member
Even the kooks green cats will throw codes. The only way to not get codes on the Boss is to run 4 cats, which is cost prohibitive and kooks won't make them. The wide band O2 is very sensitive to flow changes.

Tyler72

Established Member
We did a 2013 GT500 with Green cats, Ordered them because the customer didn't want to tune the car yet. Been throwing the same codes ever since. Been getting the "we are working on it" excuse from Kooks for 2 months... This is why I just got the regular cats, why pay twice as much for cats that still throw codes? I'd ask them for a refund and just exchange them for regular cats and then get a tune.

12-Bstang

Established Member
We did a 2013 GT500 with Green cats, Ordered them because the customer didn't want to tune the car yet. Been throwing the same codes ever since. Been getting the "we are working on it" excuse from Kooks for 2 months... This is why I just got the regular cats, why pay twice as much for cats that still throw codes? I'd ask them for a refund and just exchange them for regular cats and then get a tune.

Good points! I put up the extra cash for the quality of the kooks product. There are cheaper options by other companies, but I didn't want to skimp. I am impressed with the fitment and build quality. With that being said I hope they stand by their product, and take care of their customers who paid for a product that advertises "NO CODES". I did place a call to them last week and got the "We are working on a fix".

Kooks Headers

Established Member
We are working on this. The strange thing is we have several cars Boss and GT's running our GREEN cats with no codes.

The advantage of the GREEN cats does go beyond the no CEL part. These cats come with a EPA number on them and are 49 state legal for emissions testing. The biggest reason to go with the GREEN cats would be the flow. Our new GREEN cats flow as well as no cat at all. We have done extensive testing and have seen this on the dyno. Brenspeed even runs our GREEN cats on their race cars because of these flow characteristics.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
We are working on this. The strange thing is we have several cars Boss and GT's running our GREEN cats with no codes.

The advantage of the GREEN cats does go beyond the no CEL part. These cats come with a EPA number on them and are 49 state legal for emissions testing. The biggest reason to go with the GREEN cats would be the flow. Our new GREEN cats flow as well as no cat at all. We have done extensive testing and have seen this on the dyno. Brenspeed even runs our GREEN cats on their race cars because of these flow characteristics.

I'm running your Kooks 1-7/8 long tube headers and Kooks offroad Boss quad h-pipe and your Kooks side pipes as well. The sucker is LOUD, I like it but my neighbors don't. Now, would your green cats bolt right on? And you stated that they flow similar to catless systems...so would the green cats do nothing to help tone noise down?

Early next year I have to get my car smogged anyways. So I was hoping to get your green cats if they bolt right up

Tyler72

Established Member
The front half of the x pipe can be swapped for the catted version. I'm not sure if they have that listed separately but they do list the "catless" pipes separately so maybe they would sell just the cat pipes. I know they are working hard to fix the issues some cars have, so maybe they will have it figured out soon.

Either way, the Kooks stuff rocks and that's all I would ever run on my own car!

65sohc

Established Member

Will your green cats work with your shorty headers? If so what is the difference in power gain between your long tubes and shorties with the same cats?

pufferfish

Established Member
I ended up with kooks shorty headers and factory cats because of the CEL issue with longtubes and catted x. I don't believe there is any fix and kooks is going to throw in the towel. as someone mentioned, the oxygen sensors are very sensitive to additional airflow as well as heat differential. moving the cats back because of longtubes introduces a different heat differential and using high flow or "green" cats increases airflow. there is no solution until someone dares to crack the logic in the PCM to fool it into thinking the stock cats are there. simply turning off the rear oxygen sensors will eliminate the CEL, but will not allow the vehicle to pass emissions. the emissions test pulls a datalog of testing done by the oxygen sensors. if the rears are turned off, there is no test, so no datalogs, so no passing emissions.

Tyler72

Established Member
...simply turning off the rear oxygen sensors will eliminate the CEL, but will not allow the vehicle to pass emissions. the emissions test pulls a datalog of testing done by the oxygen sensors. if the rears are turned off, there is no test, so no datalogs, so no passing emissions.

This isn't exactly 100% true. It depends on where you live. Different states/areas test different ways. We can get by in TN as long as all of the available readiness monitors are passed. We also have a visual inspection, so no cats (or appearance of cats) means you don't pass.

SC_Terminator

Used to own a Boss
Established Member
I know this is an old thread, but, I bought a Boss with Kooks catted h-pipe on it (for long tubes)....is there any way to tell if it is the "Green" or not? Are there any markings or part numbers visible I can check?

Kooks Headers

Established Member
I know this is an old thread, but, I bought a Boss with Kooks catted h-pipe on it (for long tubes)....is there any way to tell if it is the "Green" or not? Are there any markings or part numbers visible I can check?

The GREEN cats will have a EPA certification # stamped on them, the normal high flows will not. This EPA # is required by some areas to pass emissions.

Also if anyone has a standard catted or non catted x or h pipe, we can get you just the front legs with GREEN cats. You can give us a call or anyone of our Kooks dealers and they should be able to help you out.

SC_Terminator

Used to own a Boss
Established Member
The GREEN cats will have a EPA certification # stamped on them, the normal high flows will not. This EPA # is required by some areas to pass emissions.

Also if anyone has a standard catted or non catted x or h pipe, we can get you just the front legs with GREEN cats. You can give us a call or anyone of our Kooks dealers and they should be able to help you out.

Thank you....I guess I don't have them.....after 2 full days of driving finally got the CEL (0420 and 0430)..... :)

I am surprised it took that long though

But Just in case, where would this EPA # be at on them....on the CAT or the pipe....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread