Codes after longtube header install. HELP!

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Hey guys,

A buddy of mine installed pypes longtubes on his car. He was issues free until he went to go lengthen the front o2 sensors( ran/drove fine without front o2s even plugged in). He lengthened the front o2s then took it for a drive and pulled codes P0135 & P0136. He then looked at the wires rewired it with smaller gauge wire and heat shrink butt connectors and now it pulls P2254 & P0713. What is his issue? Thanks everyone!

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Your buddy looks to have the same exhaust as you. Maybe you can help your buddy? Anytime you start messing w the exhaust you better have a good tuner

noldevin

Established Member
Those O2 wires don't like to be messed with. I'd try rewiring with solder and as short as possible, otherwise he may need new o2s with fresh wires

scotmach

Established Member
Why did he feel the need to lengthen the front o2 wiring when there is plenty of length already? He fudged something up with them.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Your buddy looks to have the same exhaust as you. Maybe you can help your buddy? Anytime you start messing w the exhaust you better have a good tuner

Yea he does. pypes longtubes,o /r x, and mbrp catback. He is AutoRed5.0 on here. He lives in Louisiana or I would physically go over and help him. He is tuned by Shaun @aed.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Why did he feel the need to lengthen the front o2 wiring when there is plenty of length already? He fudged something up with them.

When he went to go pull the wires down something up where the trans is came disconnected. He had a REAL hard time connecting it so he decided to do the same thing we did, extend the o2 wires. We had this done for the past 3+ years with no issues.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
When he went to go pull the wires down something up where the trans is came disconnected. He had a REAL hard time connecting it so he decided to do the same thing we did, extend the o2 wires. We had this done for the past 3+ years with no issues.

Who's his tuner? I know what you mean about a hard time disconnecting. Wow they are way up in there

fuelforfire87

Established Member
If you need more length I have heard of people using the o2 sensors from the 5.0 F-150's. The wiring is longer than on the mustang o2 sensors.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Also you can disconnect the o2 sensor wiring harness where it connects at the top of the transmission to get some extra length. This is what I did when I had BBK headers so i didn't have to use the POS o2 sensor extensions.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Also you can disconnect the o2 sensor wiring harness where it connects at the top of the transmission to get some extra length. This is what I did when I had BBK headers so i didn't have to use the POS o2 sensor extensions.

Yea he tried that, but he disconnected some line on top of the trans and he had a real hard time getting it back in. This is why he just lengthened the o2s.

noldevin

Established Member
I lowered the trans a few inches to make it easier to reach the clip at the top. Was a piece of cake once I did that. Just in case you or another friend does headers any time soon...

dennisn

Established Member
I was told you cannot extend the o2 wires themselves (attached to actual 02) however you can extend the oem harness in the car.

SixPak

Established Member
The length of a wire affects its resistance. This is a no-go.

True. If I recall correctly these particular O2's operate on feedback to the computer in the 0-1 volt DC range, so the resistance in the wiring is critical.
This feedback controls both short and long term fuel trims which ultimately will effect your performance.

Last edited:

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Thanks for the replys guys. He replaced the o2s with stock replacements and he is still getting the trans code.

Users who are viewing this thread