Cobras at Autocross??

MiDeviL

Established Member
Background: Owned 2008 WRX, now own 2010 STi. Tryin to sell STi to move into a 03-04 Cobra. Would really like to learn to autocross and I know it would be best to keep the suby to do this, but how well does the stang crowd stand in autocross? I have never been to one and I am not advocating that I am anywhere knowledgable about it. What would I need to do to the stang to compete in Autocross?

SVTCobra306

Established Member
The Termi isn't bad right out of the box. Just gotta learn to drive the thing.. it is harder to drive a Mustang than some cars. FWIW I trophied last weekend with my 94, it just has an Eibach Pro Kit, Panhard bar, and decent dampers on it with bigger swaybars. The Termi comes with Bilsteins all around, springs that are stiffer than my Pro Kit, and the IRS is its own animal... I'd say go for it and get out and drive it.

jvert

Established Member
I autocross my 03 cobra. Lots of fun and you learn with every run you do. I usually improve with every run through out the day. Key is to learn on street tires and tire pressure. The best thing to do is seat time. Also try to ride with someone that has a mustang or a simular car. It helps alot to ride with some one. Let us know how you do. Remember your getting pushed into the corners now cause of the rear wheel drive car.

Here are some pics of me from this year.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
AutoX is fine in the Cobra if you can get some larger courses. We have a couple clubs here outside of the SCCA that put some larger courses that we can stretch the wheels a bit. Check out the short vid at the end. Fun times...

IMG_5448.jpg

IMG_5103.jpg

IMG_5102.jpg

IMG_5099.jpg

And of course a video of me and my buddy with the Azure Mach.. only 90 seconds or so..
MOV04809.mp4 video by jjg98bullet - Photobucket
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
I think that you will do decent with a cobra. I have on some occasions had my rear axle get upset mid-corner due to large bumps while autoXing my mach1. I'd think that with a change in springs, you would be pretty well off with one.

A good friend of mine offered to let a previous runner up champion tandom drive his mach1. She told him that the mustang was probably the hardest car to drive on the AutoX scene. She also went on and said that if you could master driving that car, you could drive anything. BTW, this lady broke her ZO6 that day but was able to jump in a random Mach1 and drive it to within 1 tenth of what the regular driver could best. she HAZ SKILLZ!

BraMas

Established Member
I love my Mustang and I do AutoX it allot but if I where ever to get real serious about AutoXing a Mustang would probably be my last choice. In my region the AWD cars tear us up. Since you already own a Subaru and if your serious about AutoX I would stick with the Subaru. I'm not saying it isn't fun in the Mustang it's the STi is so much better on the shorter courses. Now an open track event is a different story

KILRSVT

Established Member
going auto X for the first time on my cobra....ill let you guys know how it goes....??done road course...but never auto x ...have FLSFC and eibach pro kit...

Almighty-One

^_^
Established Member
Should do great

my experience Auto Xing in mustangs I have learned 3 things

1. Don't overdrive the car
2. Throttle control (ties in with the first one technically)
3. Have FUN and LEARN

KILRSVT

Established Member
for sure thanks for the heads up only 2 days away...pretty sure I can over power it easy especially with a whipple on board......cant wait.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I've autocrossed my other cars...but never the cobra. Actually doing my first one next weekend. They're actually setting the course up a little more open because there will be 4-5 Z06's, my cobra, and a few other high powered cars.

I took the 90 last year to one and spent the day drifting corners (4.10's and bald rear tires).

Have fun...and expect to get frustrated and beat by the honda civic with purple wheels.

JamesHell

to poor to be fast
Established Member
I feel in a Mustang especially a Cobra you need to brake early and brake straight.
Then pick a smooth line through the corner that is probably a little slower than you feel you should be going so you can power out a little earlier than you could otherwise.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Autocross is tough in these cars, they push pretty bad, and throttle oversteer is very easy to let get out of hand.

If you have caster/camber plates crank in as much negative camber as you can get... 3 degrees is nice. Then don't over cook your corners, get around them best you can and VERY smoothly sqeeeeeeze in the throttle to best use your power in each short shoot.

After you get thouroghly frustrated with that, try an open track event at Summit or VIR or somewhere close.
NIGHT AND DAY difference!
Autocross = fish out of water
Open Track event = OMG!!! Where do I sign up for the next one!!!:rockon:
See vid in sig

We get hot at open track events but there are things you can do.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
going auto X for the first time on my cobra....ill let you guys know how it goes....??done road course...but never auto x ...have FLSFC and eibach pro kit...

I've autocrossed my other cars...but never the cobra. Actually doing my first one next weekend. They're actually setting the course up a little more open because there will be 4-5 Z06's, my cobra, and a few other high powered cars.

I took the 90 last year to one and spent the day drifting corners (4.10's and bald rear tires).

Have fun...and expect to get frustrated and beat by the honda civic with purple wheels.

How'd it go for you guys?

Gonz

Established Member
Background: Owned 2008 WRX, now own 2010 STi. Tryin to sell STi to move into a 03-04 Cobra. Would really like to learn to autocross and I know it would be best to keep the suby to do this, but how well does the stang crowd stand in autocross? I have never been to one and I am not advocating that I am anywhere knowledgable about it. What would I need to do to the stang to compete in Autocross?

because of the power & weight a Cobra will really benefit from sticky tires (Rcomps). But that's not a commitment you want to make before even trying one stock.

Best thing to do is come out to an event, and drive whatever car you have. You are sure to meet Mustang/Cobra owners and maybe get some ride alongs too.

Since you are in Baltimore, you can attend a CDC autoX club event (capitaldrivingclub.com) We've got one tomorrow 9/11 in Frederick, just off I-70. We also do events in Bowie. There will be several Cobras at the Frederick event, but unfortunately they are all "Factory 5" type (ie, shelby roadster clones, not Mustangs).

Also, since you have a Subaru (i've got a WRX as well) there are always many Subaru's at the CDC events. You can read the details on Nasioc.com in the Mid-A forum. CDC is very laid back and a great event for a first timer and easy to talk to other competitors. Less competitive atmoshpere than bigger (SCCA ) events.

Gonz.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
When I was doing a bit of Autox'ing Mustangs were at a decided disadvantage because the way the rules were written. it was hard to get a street car into a class where it could really compete. When they mad the "street class" (I think it was) they had the chance to become more competetive but by then I had dropped out due to time and other more important commitments.

SVTCobra306

Established Member
I dunno.. if you chose the right platform (probably a 96-01 Cobra or a Mach 1) you could be pretty competitive in Street Mod. NA Cobras have the horsepower NA to get the job done, and in SM you can do a LOT to the suspension. I've trophied in Novice, which is PAX indexed so with my class being Street Mod due to the stroker motor I am at somewhat of a disadvantage. Autocrossing a Mustang takes a specific driving style, you have to be aggressive with everything except the gas pedal LOL.. Driving the thing is the key, after one season I am steadily dropping the gap between my time and FTD. I started out at a 10 second gap, now it's around 4 and my goal is to have it below 2 seconds by the end of the year, which will put me very competitive with the rest of the street tire cars out there, and my car isn't as ideal as an NA 4V, I am more nose heavy. If you wanted to play around with stock indeces, you could take a 99-01 Cobra and upgrade the suspension including the IRS to Terminator specs, updating/backdating is allowed to certain extents, you'd just have to dig around to find what would benefit you the most if you were serious about autocrossing.

Next year since my Novice period will be up, I plan on running in the TIR class with my local club. They require a street compound tire, IIRC treadwear of 200, and everyone's times are scored according to PAX, which will put me at somewhat of a disadvantage unless I demod the car until it is ESP instead of SM (not likely, I'll just drive the bastard harder LOL). It is kind of a budget decision, I'll never have a chance at being competitive in Street Mod without R compound tires, and I won't afford R comps anytime soon.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Last edited:

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
Autocross is tough in these cars, they push pretty bad, and throttle oversteer is very easy to let get out of hand.

If you have caster/camber plates crank in as much negative camber as you can get... 3 degrees is nice. Then don't over cook your corners, get around them best you can and VERY smoothly sqeeeeeeze in the throttle to best use your power in each short shoot.

After you get thouroghly frustrated with that, try an open track event at Summit or VIR or somewhere close.
NIGHT AND DAY difference!
Autocross = fish out of water
Open Track event = OMG!!! Where do I sign up for the next one!!!:rockon:
See vid in sig

We get hot at open track events but there are things you can do.

What he said^^^^

Users who are viewing this thread