cobrajet tb twin blade issue

redline

Established Member
Tuner states that the throttle body does not have detent. Anyone with a answer to what the tuner is saying .

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
If it's new, where did you buy it?
Would be rare for a new FRPP quality TB to come flawed. Many tuners struggle with TB tuning also, so it depends whose tuning also.
-J

redline

Established Member
If it's new, where did you buy it?
Would be rare for a new FRPP quality TB to come flawed. Many tuners struggle with TB tuning also, so it depends whose tuning also.
-J
You know i agree with you .The throttle body worked fine til i added a whipple and l&m cams .now its no good .

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
My car needed a low vacuum bypass with cams. And cams can make tuning tricky too.
If you still have a stock TB or the shop has a proven TB that works, throw it on and see if problems continue.
Good luck.
-J

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If the throttle body worked before the cams, your tuner doesn't know how to tune the car with cams. Unless this is the mono-blade, the FRPP throttle body generally doesn't need a tune.

redline

Established Member
If the throttle body worked before the cams, your tuner doesn't know how to tune the car with cams. Unless this is the mono-blade, the FRPP throttle body generally doesn't need a tune.
Yeah thats my thoughts . It is not a mono blade .

50stangpower

Established Member
Question: can a tuner damage a throttle body via the tune? Is there anything they can do electronicly that cannot be undone?

Willie

Established Member
Tuner states that the throttle body does not have detent. Anyone with a answer to what the tuner is saying .

The throttle stop screw can be called a detent. Is this what he's talking about?

You know i agree with you .The throttle body worked fine til i added a whipple and l&m cams .now its no good .

Tuning a TB for cams can sometimes be tricky... More below with some of my insights.

Agreed...

Question: can a tuner damage a throttle body via the tune? Is there anything they can do electronicly that cannot be undone?

No.

I doubt it. Car will fail safe if things are too far out of whack.

Again, I agree.

My thoughts >>
Tuning a TB for cams involves many steps. Ask your tuner these questions:
1) Did you change both the Effective Area and Predicted Throttle Angle tables? These table values are published..
2) Did you: a) Set idle speed within the limits of the cam specs, b) Decrease idle spark gain, c) Set lowest spark value for idle control, d) Set rpm error from desired to not allow learning, e) Confirm that fuel trims are within acceptable range..
3) Then comes several datalogs, including many on a cold start. a) Operating temp with A/C off: Start and let idle for 80 seconds, at 80 seconds, note the rpm and Idle Air Integrator value. Make changes to ISC Neutral Idle Air based on these values. Once changed, relog and confirm. b) Let engine cool down. Set up datalog with the following:

Coolant Temp
Idle Air Integrator
Load
MAF Ad Counts
rpm
Time Running
Spark

Several logs with these PIDS are needed at coolant temps dictated by the following table:

Air Flow Multiplier in Neutral.jpg

Let idle for 80 seconds (again), but this time, log for ten seconds (only), to timestamp 90 for each of these coolant temps.

I suspect your tuner told you the "detent" was an excuse not to go through the steps I've outlined. And if we give him credit for doing the above, if even one step was left out, it will skew everything.

All that being said gives credence (yet again) to my philosophy about learning this stuff yourself... It's not rocket science guys!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread