Cobra'03: Why ATF instead of gear oil?

ZXnVS

Established Member
Thought about a PM, but figured others would find this interesting, too. I re-read all of the posts about ATF and saw that you recommend Red Line D4 or MTL. But I didn't see any comments on why Ford is recommending ATF for a manual transmission. Wouldn't a heavy gear oil be more suitable? Is this another damned "fuel economy" recommendation by Ford, or is there a real, technical reason why ATF is better in the T56?

Thanks.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by ZXnVS
But I didn't see any comments on why Ford is recommending ATF for a manual transmission.

Plus, I think Tremec has more to do with what fluid is recommended than Ford does. It's not a Ford transmission.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Most manual transmissions today do not use ATF - they use a lightweight gear oil. I say this because that is what Honda's tranny lubricant is - it is called MTL just like Red Line's product. It replaced Honda's previous recommendation of motor oil!

ATF is a safe choice for mfrs. - it is viscous at low temperatures, protects at high temps, has a fairly long service life, etc. So as a one size fits all lubricant, it makes sense in a country our size, with climate variations from Death Valley to International Falls. You can get it anywhere and it is cheap.

I think the Red Line MTL is a good choice for heavily driven cars that do not see really low temps below zero. It has higher film strength and shear stability, and offers greater wear resistance. It will take a bit longer to warm up, and will slightly reduce mileage.

Tremec knows where its bread is buttered, and will certainly recommend what its customers (the car companies) recommend. What they use in their own cars in anyone's guess.

There are a number of specific light gear oil (or fortified motor oil) lubricants, GM has its Sycromesh, Chrysler has a gearbox oil spec fluid, Red Line has it line of MTL and GL's.

I like Red Line for its ester-based formulation, and the fact that it looks and feels like ATF.

Users who are viewing this thread