Cobra Y2K Brakes

georgost

Established Member
Hi there,
Bought an '03 Cobra a little while ago and it came with front Brembo Y2K calipers. They are not perfroming the way they should. Stopping power is just not there, actually worse than stock. In fact I find the calipers make a creaking sound everytime you press on the brake pedal.

I have yet to take anything apart but thought I would look at repalcing pads and rotors this winter. Does anyone have any reccomendations? This is purely street driven, no track time.

Also, anyone ever have any problems with caliper noise. This isn't a squeak from pads but rather a creaking ...... even when stationary.

Thanks

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Hi there,
Bought an '03 Cobra a little while ago and it came with front Brembo Y2K calipers. They are not perfroming the way they should. Stopping power is just not there, actually worse than stock. In fact I find the calipers make a creaking sound everytime you press on the brake pedal.

I have yet to take anything apart but thought I would look at repalcing pads and rotors this winter. Does anyone have any reccomendations? This is purely street driven, no track time.

Also, anyone ever have any problems with caliper noise. This isn't a squeak from pads but rather a creaking ...... even when stationary.

Thanks
Would you consider a trade for Baer GT PBR calipers?

wheelhopper

Established Member
They may need a rebuild.

Honestly I have never been impressed with the Y2K calipers. The pads are smaller than the pads for the PBRs. Guys I know on the road course tell me that the only benefit they have found is that the pads wear more evenly. They do look better through the wheels though.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I would look at a piston being hung up..

I have had issues on a stock caliper..it will creak very loud just pushing pedal.

this could also effect stopping power

ZR5.0

Established Member
Difference in braking power on the road course with stock Cobra vs Cobra R calipers is substantial, yes even with equal pads.

Users who are viewing this thread