Cobra VS GT brakes

allgo90

Established Member
I have a shop installing new brakes on my car because i haven't had the time to do it myself. They called me yesterday and said the front rotors are already installed but for some reason my car has rear GT brakes and the rotors will not fit.
My car has about 3 previous owner so it is possible that the rear brakes might have been swapped. Now, if I'm correct the rear GT/Cobra calipers are the same and the rotors are a different size, which makes the bracket different? If i would like to run Cobra rotors all i need is the rear bracket?

Last edited:

allgo90

Established Member
what the point in that?
basically i have Cobra size rear rotors that do not fit according the shop installing them because one of the previous owners switched to GT rear brakes on my car.
My options are to sell the rotors OR find out what i need to install them. My question is what is the difference between GT rear brakes and Cobra rear brakes? I know the Cobras use 11.65" rear rotors not sure what size the GT's use

Last edited:

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
I think that people swap out to GT brakes when they want to run a 15" wheel for slicks. The stock cobra pieces are too big for that.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
yes, you just need the cobra brake bracket. but it is very pricey and in my opinion it isn't worth swapping to them. i would sell the cobra rotors and enjoy not having to grind brakes or anything to fit your prostars.

svtcobralover

Established Member
You need the cobra bracket. The flange is different compared to the Gt's. Call Luke over at Revolution Performance. I believe he has a set of cobra brackets sitting there and tell him Kristian sent you.

allgo90

Established Member
You need the cobra bracket. The flange is different compared to the Gt's. Call Luke over at Revolution Performance. I believe he has a set of cobra brackets sitting there and tell him Kristian sent you.

thanks dude, just sent him a PM over on SSF

Andrew97Cobra

Established Member
Just be aware that they will need to pull the axles out in order to swap the brackets, which will probably add a little cost to the brake job.

GForceJunkie

Established Member
This may help clarify some stuff.

The only thing the same between the rear brakes on a GT versus a Cobra are the calipers as you mentioned. The Cobra rotors are larger and they are vented as opposed to the solid GT rotors, which makes the Cobra rotors thicker and the pads are thinner,(less material) than the GT pads, to allow them to fit between the caliper and rotor.

'93 Cobra R: 13x1.1" vented rotors, PBR dual piston 38mm unit from Corvette (interchangeable with Cobra and Bullitt calipers). 10.5" rear vented disc.

'94-95 V6 & GT: 10.8x1.0" front rotors, 66mm single piston calipers. Rear single piston 38mm Varga caliper, 10" solid rotor

'94-98 Cobra, '95 Cobra R: 13.0x1.1" KVH rotors, 38x38mm dual piston PBR calipers. Rear single piston 38mm Varga Caliper, 11.65" vented rotor

'99+ V6 & GT: 10.8x1.0" front rotors, 44.5x44.5mm dual piston PBR calipers. Rear single piston Varga caliper, 10" solid rotor

'99+ Cobra: 13.0x1.1" Brembo rotors, spec'd 40x40 mm dual piston PBR calipers. Rear single piston 38mm Varga Caliper, 11.65" vented rotor

'00 Bullitt Mustang: Same brakes as 94-98 Cobras (unique red PBR calipers with running horse up front, same varga caliper in rear painted red.) Rear single piston 38mm Varga Caliper, 11.65" vented rotor

'00 Cobra R: 13.0x1.1" Brembo rotors, Brembo 4 piston calipers. 36x40mm pistons. Rear disc the same as the stock '99+ Cobras

:beer:

harvboi05

Established Member
for whatever its worth, i know of a local procharged new edge V6 mustang that did a cobra brake swap, and his stock 15" wheels clear with a 3/8" spacer.

i saw some people comment on swapping down to gt brakes to fit 15", and thought id mention that.

allgo90

Established Member
i think im going to stick with GT brakes in the rear since i run 15" Prostars anyway. Thanks everyone for you're input.

Users who are viewing this thread