Cobra to Germany

04 RedFire

2014 Black GT500
Established Member
Does anyone know what has to be modified to take a 04 Cobra to Germany? It would be there 2-3 years then brought back to the states.

Thanks

jagman08

Established Member
Are you military? If you are you won't need to change a thing other then maybe change your exhaust back to stock. I wish I took one of my stangs here when I had the chance.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
When I had mine inspected I failed like 15 things. No window tint, have to have full exhaust (no dumps), brakes have to be perfect, headlights perfectly aligned, tires have to have i think 3/8" of tread or something like that. I'm deployed right now, so the cars sitting in a garage untill I get back and fix what was wrong with it. Its a bitch to pass german inspection honestly, but its a blast having the car in germany. You can have ALOT more fun with it!

Where are you going in Germany? Also you can have aftermarket exhaust but you have to have cats!

john3883

Slow Poke
Established Member
yeah i remember tint being issue they are strict on having none. also exhaust perhaps being too loud? believe you got have cats like stated above and it can't be above certain DB+

darknight01

Established Member
ya the decibel is 98.and if your 1db over you fail!im from mannheim, and it def is fun playin with porsches and m-series bmw's!haha theyre not fast, but def need stock mufflers, atleast for inspection

Marc

Established Member
I was there a long time ago and I know exhaust was a issue. Must have cats. I would get mine inspected and have my buddy that worked in a garage just switch it back out.

But, man to have your car on the autobahn. I didn't own a cobra back then, but had a 91GT. pegged the speedo at 145...I know it might of not been a true 145, but I was hauling ass.

Fast GTO

Established Member
I've run a few Porsche Turbo's, Panamera and Cayman. Held my own pretty well up to 150ish and let out.

BTW, if you are in Europe check out mightymustangs.net best group of military mustang owners who do regular meets.

Last edited:

Tacky03

Established Member
Took my 03 Cobra to Vilseck, Germany and only issue I had was with my clearance. Had to put stock springs back on. I have cats on my exhaust and Magna flow mufflers, no problems at all with the decibel test. Brakes do need to be good, and no tint is also important over there. Other than that it is a great car to have in Europe, gets tons of looks and if you think they are a rare car here than just wait till you only see one every few months.

xavier296

Always another project.
Established Member
I am in Germany now for some medical work, and drove the cobra. I brought my ride height back up to stock when I moved to Italy, and I have had no problems here in germany. We have no real inspections in Italy, but other than less than ideal gas milage (I have been averaging 18 mpg going fast), it is a great car for european roads.

LSWONGTO

Boosted Goat
Established Member
ya the decibel is 98.and if your 1db over you fail!im from mannheim, and it def is fun playin with porsches and m-series bmw's!haha theyre not fast, but def need stock mufflers, atleast for inspection

The DB limit was 95 here in Ramstein.. Mine failed at idle with Longtubes, HF cats & a Bassani CB... But I have a cam so its alittle lopey..

LSWONGTO

Boosted Goat
Established Member
Took my 03 Cobra to Vilseck, Germany and only issue I had was with my clearance. Had to put stock springs back on. I have cats on my exhaust and Magna flow mufflers, no problems at all with the decibel test. Brakes do need to be good, and no tint is also important over there. Other than that it is a great car to have in Europe, gets tons of looks and if you think they are a rare car here than just wait till you only see one every few months.

Yeah I have only seen 2-3 03/4 Cobras in the 2months since I have been here lol. I have seen 6516165165165million new 5.0s though :shrug: I saw maybe 2-3 in the states.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
I just saw a white 03/04 yesterday on Graff, and right beside it there was a 2011 GT500, kinda took me by surprise. Only other Cobra I've seen over here was Tackys untill yesterday.

LSWONGTO

Boosted Goat
Established Member
I just saw a white 03/04 yesterday on Graff, and right beside it there was a 2011 GT500, kinda took me by surprise. Only other Cobra I've seen over here was Tackys untill yesterday.

Nice I have seen a Black 03/4 here and maybe 5-6 GT500s. I keep seeing the same white GT500 everywhere but we have not been able to get a run yet :(

03cobraracer

Established Member
i just got to germany almost 3 weeks ago so no car here yet, but im possibly thinking of bringing my cobra here as well. i can ship a POV so i might bring it. how do they do the emission inspection they plug into the OBD 2 like back home or just do an exhaust reading? im over here on grafenwoehr myself but im over at vilseck often to.

04 RedFire

2014 Black GT500
Established Member
Sorry but I have been off for a while (just due to normal life things) Am settled in in Stuttgart now (completely Civilian work) so none of the military benefits. I have a lower pulley, Open air filter, tune, Stock h-pipe minus the internals for the back 2 cats and a stinger exhaust. I do have the stock catback so I could put them on as they are super quiet. Not sure about the pulley and tune passing the inspection here? I do have the original lower and the tuner can put the original tune in if necessary. However I do not have a good place to do the mechanical work for now. I could take the tint off the door windows easily as I have removed tint before. I think I have to do the front light modification, the yellow turn mod and I don't know what else. It kind of sounds like it is going to be very expensive to actually get the car here and through all the paperwork. It was hard enough just getting the family through all the paperwork.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Its not to bad, they just check and make sure the car isnt to low or loud. All the lights have to work, the regular stuff. Here in vilseck they dont check the emissions and mods dont matter as long as the car is structurally sound.

Users who are viewing this thread