Cobra Third Brake Light Install

BucStang

Triple Black
Established Member
OK, as we all know the third brake light is a pain to remove and is also very expensive, at about $215.00 at your local Ford dealer. It may be cracked and or filled with moisture, like mine was.
To remove and replace it, you will need four things, a third brake light, a T-15 torx style screwdriver, a flat head aka slotted screw driver(I happened to use a Drum Brake adjustment tool), and to help with grommet installation a little bit of Silicone spray. This is what I used.
036.jpg

The part number
026.jpg

I've included some pictures of what is keeping the light from coming out after you remove the two screws. There are three tabs on the top that make this thing difficult to remove.
IMG_0587.jpg

I very gently used this tool in between the light and the spoiler to lift and kind of pop the tabs out one by one.
032.jpg
033.jpg
034.jpg

You will also need to disconnect the electrical connector inside the trunk lid.
031.jpg

Here is the brake light before replacement. You will see the crack on the right side and the moisture inside the lens.
029.jpg

030.jpg

After removal of the old light, take the new one and hit the grommets with a little bit of the Silicone spray (AWAY FROM YOUR PAINT), then fish the wires back through the holes, slip the grommets into their holes and make sure they are fully seated to ensure a good seal. After that, push the light assembly into the spoiler and install the two torx screws, open the trunk lid and reconnect the electrical connector. Check for proper brake light operation and you're done!
It looks as good as new when finished.
035.jpg

Last edited:

timbo3282

Established Member
Is there any value in masking off the paint while prying it out to keep from scratching the paint? I think I will mask it off just to be safe.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
Is there any value in masking off the paint while prying it out to keep from scratching the paint? I think I will mask it off just to be safe.

I think it could help, or you can wrap your prying tool in a layer or two of electrical tape, but it may slightly hinder your ability to get the tool in if you don't wrap it right.

Users who are viewing this thread