Cobra stock timing set max RPM

ShankerIV

Established Member
Hey guys, I have been slowly buying parts for a turbo 4.6 4v engine for my gt mustang. What kind of rpm can the stock timing set hold reliably? I am looking to push 7500+ rpm consistently. I will be buying a billet crank gear to hold the power so don't count that. Also, can the stock secondary chain sprockets hold a good amount of power? The only set of billet ones seem to be by L&M and they're like 400 bucks. If the stock ones are good though, then i'll just buy some new OEM ones. I was looking into buying billet everything for the timing set, but if the stock stuff can take it, then it'll save me over a grand. Thanks.

01blckcobra

Established Member
7500+ rpm put alot of strain on parts. Stock timing components work but recommend placing often to cya. Also you're going to have to look into better connecting rods, beefier wrist pins, springs and retainers. Upgrade pivot bolts, oil tensioners(non-plastic), ect... tensioner guides / arms probably be the only thing you don't need to upgrade. If you don't mind tearing the motor down ever so often and checking components, you can get away with stock. Only thing would upgrade is the plastic oil tensioners to cast or aftermarket. (ratchet style). (Aluminum block would upgrade pivot bolts) Also stiffer valve springs. (90 or 120 lbs. seat) Also an increase in oil pressure is needed, - upgrade rocker arms / followers and/or pump.
If not running aftermarket cams and intake manifold, there's no point going past 7k.

Last edited:

01blckcobra

Established Member
With the added rpm will need bigger and better coolers if you don't plan on cool down time.

If you plan on road racing, have a blank check ready. Tons of modifications needed to make reliable.

GodStang

Established Member
Make sure they timing tensinors are not plastic. Mine were and my driver side broke at near stock power levels at 15K miles.

01blckcobra

Established Member
Yep, I run oem / O'reilly's / Auto / ect band around 8-8.2k or so. just have to check them once in awhile. Even aftermarket I'd check more.
Also, not sure if, once modified you can consider them stock....

I haven't found a "aftermarket" timing component that is worth upgrading to or paying the price. If you don't know how to modify the "stock" components then would go aftermarket

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread