Cobra speaker help

latinheat1018

Established Member
I recently bought a 2003 mustang convertible. The most basic one as a daily driver.
I’m not interested in doing much to it since it’s just a daily driver.
It has some tiny speakers in the rear. A single speaker held in place by a metal bracket.
I keep seeing the cobra speakers on eBay and I’d like to know what it would take to make those work on this car. (Pic attached)
IMG_0615.jpg

The thing is I only have one plug. And the cobra’s have two. There’s a plug under the back seat round and black. That leads to nothing. I’m wondering if I’m just missing the harness that would plug into it. Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Manuel

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

cobra-boss

Established Member
Sounds like you have the basic sound system. The one in the picture is the Mach460. They have 2 plugs because they are bi-amped. 1 plug for the tweeter 1 for woofer. You can use them but will need to splice the plugs together or run amps. You may also need the panels. I dont know if the stock panels have am opening for the tweeter.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Lol, you would need a complete re-wire of your car to the shitshow that is the Mach system plus the amps, plus some other stuff.

Just bypass the stock Ford amp and use the HU to power some good Pioneer Premier speakers until you can afford something better.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
They will not work unless you require entire stereo, and it's not worth it. It's easier/cheaper/better outcome if you install aftermarket pieces.
The Mach speakers and amps operate at 6 ohms. Your current speakers are 4 ohm.

52merc

Established Member
I just ripped all the Mach 460 stuff out of my 01 Cobra last month. My new system sounds so much better. I sprang for a high end receiver (Pioneer AVIC-8100NEC), so it cost me a fair amount of money which is probably outside your budget. I agree with 98 svt, just put some aftermarket stuff in. You'll be much happier. If I lived in TX I'd give you my old stuff for free. Its just sitting in my garage right now taking up some bench space.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I was happy with my mach stuff for like... A few weeks... But... Yeah already looking at making a project out of the stereo sometime in the next 6-12 months. Re use the rear speaker box and front tweeter housings but trying to adjust the Mach stuff to sound good... Maybe I need those blockers in the tweeters?

Sent from my Z978 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

latinheat1018

Established Member
Definitely don’t want to spend much money on this car. The wheels I put on it from my GT500 are worth more than the car haha
I’ll see what basic cheap upgrades I can do to it. Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread