Cobra R values (Please offer your opinion)

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
All low mileage cars will get a premium. All values are higher with paperwork and other stuff from the car's era.

I first researched the current 2018 Sports Car Market Price Guide. They offer a median value on these cars:

1993 R = $68,000
1995 R = $31,000
2000 R = $17,500

Here is my opinion on these cars:

93R = $65,000
95R = $25,000
00R = $25,000

My old car has over 10K miles on it. It has only been driven hard. I have a new set of original sticker tires on the original wheels in my basement (these are Ford replica wheels with non original tires):
95R2017.jpg

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
All low mileage cars will get a premium. All values are higher with paperwork and other stuff from the car's era.

I first researched the current 2018 Sports Car Market Price Guide. They offer a median value on these cars:

1993 R = $68,000
1995 R = $31,000
2000 R = $17,500

Here is my opinion on these cars:

93R = $65,000
95R = $25,000
00R = $25,000

My old car has over 10K miles on it. It has only been driven hard. I have a new set of original sticker tires on the original wheels in my basement (these are Ford replica wheels with non original tires):
View attachment 1513974

Those numbers for the 00R are waaaaaay off. You’ll never find one close to that number that isn’t salvaged.

nmp1

Established Member
Those numbers for the 00R are waaaaaay off. You’ll never find one close to that number that isn’t salvaged.

yeah really, $17,500 is insulting. even one for 25k would likely be in really rough condition with miles and no paperwork. Sports Car Market Price Guide has always been soft on the 2000 R. not really sure where they get these numbers from as this forum tracks these cars pretty closely and no one has posted sales numbers like that. if you wanted to buy a respectable car with fairly low miles and paperwork expect to pay 40-50k.

if $17,500 is the median value, what has the cheapest one sold for? find me one for sale for 10k and ill buy it for parts alone, even if it was cut in half.

Last edited:

04MysticCobra

Established Member
Lol....I want what Sport car market is smoking....the only price that is agreeable is the 93R. My 93R that I owned just sold in the past month with around 2500 miles for those 65-68K prices. I sold my 93R back in the day for a few grand more than I paid. My 95R was sold with 1100 miles on it and it took a beating. I sold it for 5K less than I paid. There in no way in hell a 95R and 00R have equal value. I just saw a 2000R online that had 15K miles and rebuilt engine that sold for $32K. For a low or very mileage original 2000R will range in the 40's to low 50's. The MSRP for a 1995 Cobra R was 37K+ and the MSRP for a 2000R was 54K+. Please PM me all day when I can buy a low mileage 2000R for 25K. I am ready with cash in hand.

Goose17

Established Member
Please PM me all day when I can buy a low mileage 2000R for 25K. I am ready with cash in hand.

YES! I would buy a few more at that price! I have been tracking the 00R for a handful of years. I saw one beat up highly modded one listed for $35k. The rest have been:

Moderate miles 2000-10,000: mid to upper 40s
Low miles 1000-2000 in the 50s
Wrapper cars as high as 80k.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
I think I will call Rick Hendrick performance tomorrow and see if he will take 25K for his 12K mile 2000 Cobra R.....wish me luck....lol.

2000 Used Ford Mustang Cobra R at Hendrick Performance Serving Charlotte, IID 16875735

Obviously I am just playing around but laughing at the ridiculous prices on the 2000R's from Sports car market guide. I would be interested to know what the CPI black book says for the 2000R values.

I do know Doc from back in the day when my username was 95CobraR from 2000-2004. I had my 93R and 95R together back then which are both in the SVT Mustang recognition guide books.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
So, what is your opinion on the value of the three cars?

I agree that a low mileage car with paperwork is worth more.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Lol

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk

TFStang

Established Member
^^^ What he said. Some opinions are just flat out wrong and yours and that magazine you got the numbers from are both wrong. That’s fact, not opinion. My opinion is you couldn’t be more wrong.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
OP, I would buy every single 00R I could for $17,500.

I would not give $31k for your 95R.

JeremyBoc

Established Member
My serious answer is they are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Supply is in our (owners) favor, but you still need demand. There are plenty of 'cool' cars from all different manufacturers that are fun to drive. I personally plan to drive my stock 95R forever and never sell it. It's an extremely fun car to drive and it also has sentimental value to me. It could be work 10k or 50k and I'm keeping it either way. The IMSA raced 95R is another story. I think we can all agree they are in a special class where you need an ever more 'special buyer' that values that particular car over other race cars. I honestly don't know much about the market or the history that you guys know with all these cars, but I did take economics. Putting a specific number on what they are worth is kind of unnecessary I think. To have guidelines can be helpful, but I wouldn't worry about debating something is worth 1 or 2k less than what someone else says. Look at recent sales history and that should be the best indicator. There are other threads that discuss that on this site since forumn members tend to notice when they go up for sale.

Goose17

Established Member
Jeremy, I have a degree in economics, but the only thing that applies in this case is supply vs. demand, which you eluded to. As we all know, there were only 300 Cobra Rs made in 2000. There is also strong demand for the car from what I’ve witnessed. The uber low mile top dollar cars may take awhile to sell, but any 00R that pops up in the 40s to 50s usually sells quickly unless it is a basket case. I frequently come across people online that are searching for a 00R. Demand definitely outweighs supply.

We may come across a bit defensive looking, but in reality, we are just trying to correct your bad info. The 00R is a wild looking car with performance that still is fantastic 18 years later. You would be hard pressed to find one for sale in the 30s that isn’t completely trashed. If you had mid 40s to mid 50s burning a hole in your pocket, you should be able to find a nice example.

In the meantime, I’m not selling mine (ever)! It’s hands-down my favorite car of all time!

JeremyBoc

Established Member
Jeremy, I have a degree in economics, but the only thing that applies in this case is supply vs. demand, which you eluded to. As we all know, there were only 300 Cobra Rs made in 2000. There is also strong demand for the car from what I’ve witnessed. The uber low mile top dollar cars may take awhile to sell, but any 00R that pops up in the 40s to 50s usually sells quickly unless it is a basket case. I frequently come across people online that are searching for a 00R. Demand definitely outweighs supply.

We may come across a bit defensive looking, but in reality, we are just trying to correct your bad info. The 00R is a wild looking car with performance that still is fantastic 18 years later. You would be hard pressed to find one for sale in the 30s that isn’t completely trashed. If you had mid 40s to mid 50s burning a hole in your pocket, you should be able to find a nice example.

In the meantime, I’m not selling mine (ever)! It’s hands-down my favorite car of all time!

I feel the same way you do about it. I didn't make the original post so it was someone else's bad info. Like I said, they're worth what someone is willing to pay for it so if they are paying 40s - 50s then that's what they are worth. Not the $17k posted in the guide. We're on the same page.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Well your own opinion is horribly wrong.

OK, I was trying to get some thread posts. It's been a little dead around here for a long time.

Why not just offer your opinion on what an average value would be? I mentioned before that zero-mile garage and low-mile garaged cars were different. It states on the price guide page that it is a Median value. That is a middle value from low to high.

I am not sure why everyone takes this so seriously? It's a car with insurance and tax fees which makes it a hobby and not an investment.

I paid $25K for a 1965 Mustang vintage race car in 1990. I spent well over $250K maintaining it until I sold it for $25K in 2016. It was worth every dollar.

Users who are viewing this thread