Cobra R Head Gasket

429SCJ

Established Member
Anyone know of reputable shop than can replace head gasket on 2000 Cobra R within 200 miles of central Texas Waco area? Driving it the other day and smelled something burning. Looked behind me and thought car was on fire. Best I can tell oil from passenger side head dripping on exhaust pipe. No water in oil and car still runs like a scalded ape.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I don't speak from any kind of authority on that engines cooling system, but if its similar to other modulars it may be this tubes o ring. Part #18472. Good luck and drive the piss out of it.
20210812_192559.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S506DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

429SCJ

Established Member
I don't speak from any kind of authority on that engines cooling system, but if its similar to other modulars it may be this tubes o ring. Part #18472. Good luck and drive the piss out of it. View attachment 1716354

Sent from my SM-S506DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app
It is oil coming from head not coolant. from reading 0n other 5.4 site sounds like there may have been some sort of bur on some of the 5.4 blocks on F250's. Ford replaced with a thicker head gasket under warranty. Not sure if this is problem I have, but I do know that this job would be way out of my expertise especially if motor has to come out of car from bottom. I do appreciate the diagram. printing it out for my keeping.

429SCJ

Established Member
Not 100% sure it is head leaking after reading post about oil pooling on intake. I will give it a better look once the first cold front rolls thru

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
are you sure they're not talking about a valve cover gasket instead? I remember some valve cover gaskets weeping

429SCJ

Established Member
are you sure they're not talking about a valve cover gasket instead? I remember some valve cover gaskets weeping
It could be valve cover gasket. I could barely get my head under for a look. Going to order low profile floor jack and get it up on ramps once this front comes in. I need to change out coolant anyway. Will parts house have valve cover info for Cobra R?

429SCJ

Established Member
Changed out antifreeze and burped as recommended. Also tightened down on valve cover bolts. No further issues. What a relief.

Users who are viewing this thread