Cobra R Engine. Located in PA

DaveWertz

Established Member
So a guy i know up the road from me does allot of chassis and well just about anything race car related. From the work i seen he is one best around. Anyhow I seen he went to texas to pick up a Cobra R. Figured he is building something insane with it. My guess that is. So i seen this pop up on market place this morning. Sure wish i has the cash to buy this. If he took that motor out I can only imagine whats going back in....
Screenshot_20210201-102341.jpeg

Sent from my LM-Q620 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It would definitely be unique, and probably one of a kind. But as @98 svt said, "seems pretty steep". If your hunch is right and this guy is building something insane, seems strange (and a waste of a classic 2000 'R' body) that he'd use a 2000 'R' with only 15K miles on it. Do you think that what he's planning requires a 2000 'R' body? I just find it strange that he bought such a low mileage 2000 'R' only to turn around and sell the low mileage engine. He probably paid strong money for the car.
upload_2021-2-1_11-44-12.png

SpittingCobra

Established Member
It would definitely be unique, and probably one of a kind. But as @98 svt said, "seems pretty steep". If your hunch is right and this guy is building something insane, seems strange (and a waste of a classic 2000 'R' body) that he'd use a 2000 'R' with only 15K miles on it. Do you think that what he's planning requires a 2000 'R' body? I just find it strange that he bought such a low mileage 2000 'R' only to turn around and sell the low mileage engine. He probably paid strong money for the car.
View attachment 1686529

For some people money is no object. I agree it really makes no logical sense. The Cobra R is only special as a complete package from Ford. With the money the whole car is worth, especially with 15k miles, why not just sell the car complete and go buy a new edge and build the car exactly how you want it and way better than how Ford made the R. Some people are weird enough to just want to be able to say "look at my vin, it's a real "R" model", I could care less. Do the Ring Brothers use a 67' GT500 to build their insane projects? No.. why would they.. That's how I see it. I'm looking at installing a Coyote in mine, if the 96-98 cobras were more valuable I might consider selling the car and looking for another project vehicle but thankfully they're not so I won't lose any sleep over ripping the original 4.6 out.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
.....I agree it really makes no logical sense. The Cobra R is only special as a complete package from Ford. With the money the whole car is worth, especially with 15k miles, why not just sell the car complete and go buy a new edge and build the car exactly how you want it and way better than how Ford made the R. Some people are weird enough to just want to be able to say "look at my vin, it's a real "R" model", I could care less. Do the Ring Brothers use a 67' GT500 to build their insane projects? No.. why would they.. That's how I see it. I'm looking at installing a Coyote in mine, if the 96-98 cobras were more valuable I might consider selling the car and looking for another project vehicle but thankfully they're not so I won't lose any sleep over ripping the original 4.6 out.
That is exactly what I was thinking but didn't post it. It is a bit weird. If you do proceed with installing a Coyote in your Mustang, start a thread. Best of luck with it.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I'll post it there. I haven't seen one yet but i think this in a 96-98 Cobra would be pretty unique

Don’t take this the wrong way, but that motor is too rare/too expensive to drop into an SN95 Mustang. This is coming from an owner of three SN95 Mustangs.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's very doubtful that this 'R' engine would end up in an SN-95 Mustang. Some 2000 'R' owner will likely buy it.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Im certain in the next 15-20 years this motor would be as rare as an old Hemi motor and will sell for far more than 20K. But thats a long time to wait.....

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Building clone cars is an old and well worn path.
I’ve seen my share of cloned 2000 Cobra Rs. They usually get the hood, splitter and wing correctly done. Very rarely do they have the interior or side exhaust. The big-ass fuel cell not sticking down in the rear end is a telltale sign and I have never seen one that can pass the “popping of the hood” test. The engine parts are simply not available... but here is someone’s chance!

red9450

Established Member
Would like to see an "R" with a GT350 powerplant in it, or at least a clone...

Cobra Jet

Established Member
#111 was mentioned in this thread:

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/cobra-r-owners-list-part-3.156863/

The questions I have are:
1) Was the car purchased as salvage??

2) 2000 R’s with such low mileage are just now starting to break $50k+, depending on documented history to go with them, the lower the SVT Build number and if it has low miles. Why would anyone buy such a car at an assumed price point to gut it?

3) Can’t help but ask, was the car legally acquired or why would it be parted out?

Put it this way, if someone wanted to hop up a SN95 Mustang (1999-2004), they’re normally not going to seek a limited production run R model and gut it.

Something just is not adding up here...

DaveWertz

Established Member
This is legit. The guy doing the work has a great following. He just did a chassis for a buddy of mine maverick which is getting a 03-04 cobra motor with a single turbo, I think anyhow. If memory serves me this cobra r was a salvage build from a minor accident. Im not going to give names out. The owner is from Texas, the chassis shop is in mill hall PA.

Users who are viewing this thread