Cobra Mirror Disassembly and re-paint

bwahl602

Established Member
Mods can you delete the copy of this in pics/vids section please

So I picked up a set of cobra mirrors recently to go on my mach. I paid way to much for them.. whatever.. The mirrors were from a silver cobra and the drivers side glass was cracked. Once again, paid too much

Ive decided to paint them black for now.. I had considered painting them TR to match the car, but something about that just looks "off" to me on the machs.. The red mirrors just really dont sit well with all of the black accents on the car to me. Regardless, i can always re-paint them red

Replacement Glass
I followed the information here to a company that produces replacement glass for the 04 cobra mirrors. I opted for the RSG model (ready set go) which comes with the mounting bracket on the back of the glass already.. I figured this would be easier, I wish i had just bought the glass instead and saved money..
The company that produces the glass is called Burco Redi-Products. (<<<click for link). Through there website you can find part numbers. There is a supplier on ebay selling the Burco glass.
Part number 4244 is the drivers side glass
Part number 5320 is the passenger side glass.
Add RSG to the end of the part number for the with motor mount option
The replacement glass costs around $20, the RSG models cost $55!
* The only issue i have with the RSG replacement glass I have.. The motor mount is bonded directly to the piece of glass, which is fine, however the factory mirrors had a plastic backing plate. As a matter of fact, you can see the plastic around the edge of the glass, giving it a finished look. I plan to buy a regular piece of glass in the future and take the time to scrape the old glass from the plastic plate and produce a "factory" look
Capture-54.jpg

Drivers side Burco RSG4244 on the left, Factory passenger side mirror on the right. Note the plastic backing plate
RSG.jpg

RSG now on the right/front
RSG2.jpg

Disassembly
I never took a picture of the mirrors prior to disassembly.. We know what they look like however.. You will need a T20 torx bit for dissasembly.
To remove the glass, simply push the bottom of the mirror all the way in. Then grab ahold of the top of the glass and just yank it out. It makes an awful noise when you do this.. You will think you ripped the motor clean out with the glass. Relax, all is fine.
Now using the T20 torx screw driver, remove the three screws holding the painted part of the mirror to the lever arm and motor. Then, on the bottom you will find 3 more screws that seperate the lever arm from the chassis mount. Dont worry, nothing springs or goes kaboom. Once that is loose you can slip the mirror shell over the lever arm.

*****Ill insert a picture here when i reassemble them*****

I decided to paint the chassis plate as well since it had a few nicks in it and i wasnt happy with the finish. Heres where I found a little problem. The wiring harness runs through the chassis plate, up through the center of the spring in the lever arm and out to the motor. To seperate the lever arm/ motor assembly completely from the chassis plate, you have to slip the wiring through the small hole in the chassis plate. Problem is, the connector wont fit through. All you have to do is get a pick or pair of tweezers and remove the gray "lock" in the connector and the wires w/ pins will slip right out.. Someone apparently took this one apart and wasnt intelligent enough to dissasemble the connector.. He just cut them
Heres the wiring job i found.. Wires cut, then twisted back together and electric taped.. Ive seen fifth graders do better jobs
002.jpg

003.jpg

These will be soldered, heat shrinked and then taped. New wire loom will be used.

Since i had everything apart, i decided to give everything a good wash.. No reason to put the lever arm covered in dirt back into a freshly painted mirror assembly.. To dissasemble the motor from the lever arm you just need to remove the 3 T10 screws and it comes right off. The motors are not side specific. After wash
006.jpg

A close-up of the motor assembly
007.jpg

A shot of the chassis plate and lever/motor assembly. Before being cleaned
004.jpg

Finishing
No reason to paint the mirrors while they are all chipped and scratched.. I used some glazing putty where needed and sanded them dead flat and smooth with 400 grit.
The chassis plates were sanded down as well. The chassis plates are cast aluminum and are full of pops and imperfections on the surface. They level quickly however
001.jpg

After wet sanding all parts and giving them a bath. I sprayed them with some primer. I just finished wet sanding the primer again with 400 grit.
Primered.. Before wet sanding
primed.jpg

Tomorow morning ill spray them with base coat and clear coat. Nothing special here, using Krylon code 1613 satin black and a satin clear. I will wet sand and buff the clear for a no orange peel appearance.

more to come stay tuned.

Bill

Last edited:

bwahl602

Established Member
when its time to reassemble, slip the lever arm/motor assembly back into the mirror shell. Bolt it down to the shell as you glue the inner corner in. I used hot glue :D
Heres the tab on the inside that needs glued into the channel
glue.jpg

motor bolted inside shell and glued
inside.jpg

finished mirrors
finished.jpg

finished3.jpg

finished2.jpg

install tommorow

to reattach the glass, simply push

enjoy

Huachipato