Cobra just started blowing oil out the breather

Hone03

Established Member
Have no idea what would suddenly cause this but my Termi just started blowing a large amount of oil out the passenger side breather apparently under heavy throttle. It has a collector off the driver side valve cover but just a standard filter breather on the passenger side.

Any thoughts on what would cause this?

any2eded.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Blueline

Established Member
Your pressurizing the crankcase. Is the car running/idling ok? Did you eliminate your pcv valve?

Hone03

Established Member
Your pressurizing the crankcase. Is the car running/idling ok? Did you eliminate your pcv valve?

Seems to be running fine. In fact I had just posted this weekend about how I changed to a different plug which made a world of difference in the car. Prior to that it had seemed to have a minor miss under acceleration.

The PCV valve is still in the driver's side valve cover prior to the tubing for the oil separator. The hose on the passenger side going into the air inlet tube was eliminated in favor of the breather.

Hone03

Established Member
Bought a gauge to do a compression today anyone know where the best place would be to find a leak down tool?

crazylou

Established Member
summit has them... do leak down at 100 psi,whatever ur loss is,is the percentage ur loosing... should be ruffly 1-4% anything over that is no good...
also easiest way to kno is listen 2
1.breather or dipstick for rings,
2.intake for intake valve,
3.tailpipe for exhaust valve
4.rad. bubbles for head gaskets
can be done hot or cold pref.hot, tdc on compressionon each cyl. #1 and #6 should be (at same time) and so forth

racebronco2

Established Member
Have no idea what would suddenly cause this but my Termi just started blowing a large amount of oil out the passenger side breather apparently under heavy throttle. It has a collector off the driver side valve cover but just a standard filter breather on the passenger side.

Any thoughts on what would cause this?

any2eded.jpg

You are getting unmetered air into the engine with a breather only on one side.

The pressure gets built up everytime you go wot which is normal because there is no vaccum at wot, only boost iirc. The oil that is on the valve cover usually ends up in the intake system if you didn't have a breather on it. You need to decide if you are going to run breathers on both side or stay with the pvc valve and use a catch can on the passenger side.

Hone03

Established Member
Looks like the verdict is in. Started with a compression test since it is the easiest. Most cylinders were around 170-175, number 7 though was only about half of that (repeated and verified). Didn't bother to proceed to a leak down test given the results.
Looks like a new engine is in the cards. Recommendations on builders?

Users who are viewing this thread