Cobra Jet + Procharger

Canadian5.0

Established Member
Currently have a Cobra Jet intake with long tubes. Was wondering if there was anything else needed to make it work other than the custom tube for the Cobra Jet oval TB.

There's only about 1 video on youtube of the Cobra Jet/Procharger making around 700whp. I'm still on the stock internals/opg's so I was also wondering if the combo with a conservative tune keeping it around 550-600 would be worth it or just switching back to the stock intake and selling the Cobra Jet all together is the better way to go.

Also what kind of injectors/fuel upgrades would anyone recommend. Would be running 93 as there's no E85 around here.

Thanks

Last edited:

Reaper14

Established Member
If going for a full kit, go with the team beefcake special. Comes very nicely equiped with large injectors. I have wondered about this set up too. Just yesterday I found a site that makes the sylicone hoses to adapt from oval to round for the throttle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I'd keep the CJ setup and find a way to adapt from round to oval. There is a few people who have done it already. I'd go with ID1000's and a BAP for fueling. If you want to limit the car to 550-600 let it only make 8psi. On 10psi it would make 625-650 depending on the dyno, trans, and tune.

Canadian5.0

Established Member
If going for a full kit, go with the team beefcake special. Comes very nicely equiped with large injectors. I have wondered about this set up too. Just yesterday I found a site that makes the sylicone hoses to adapt from oval to round for the throttle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Got a link to that site with the hoses?

Thanks

Reaper14

Established Member
let me know what you find out. I just recently installed the boss intake & that one is easier to adapt for pro or turbo. if you find you want to get rid of yours, we can trade along with some cash for yours of course lol. was thinking of staying n/a. good luck

GeorgieEff

So, in regards to the coupler- On3 performance sells the CJ coupler that adapts from oval to round (or vice versa-whatever LOL).

I am also looking at boost but keeping my CJ. Some say its over kill, but I prefer the look and power band of the cj- i know, subject to change.

Currently I am leaning more towards paxton, as I really do not like how the procharger pulls air from the header region. Living in TX makes for reallllly hot weather- boost does not help.

Agree with above regarding team beefcake's special.

Bryanh24

Established Member
I'd keep the CJ setup and find a way to adapt from round to oval. There is a few people who have done it already. I'd go with ID1000's and a BAP for fueling. If you want to limit the car to 550-600 let it only make 8psi. On 10psi it would make 625-650 depending on the dyno, trans, and tune.
I have the Cobra Jet with longtubes and procharger. Car made 674 to wheels on 9psi on a dynojet.

Bryanh24

Established Member
Currently have a Cobra Jet intake with long tubes. Was wondering if there was anything else needed to make it work other than the custom tube for the Cobra Jet oval TB.

There's only about 1 video on youtube of the Cobra Jet/Procharger making around 700whp. I'm still on the stock internals/opg's so I was also wondering if the combo with a conservative tune keeping it around 550-600 would be worth it or just switching back to the stock intake and selling the Cobra Jet all together is the better way to go.

Also what kind of injectors/fuel upgrades would anyone recommend. Would be running 93 as there's no E85 around here.

Thanks
I have the CJ manny with longtubes. I went with ID 1050x's and a vortech BAP. So far so good. Made 674 to wheels on 9psi. Good luck!

Canadian5.0

Established Member
I have the CJ manny with longtubes. I went with ID 1050x's and a vortech BAP. So far so good. Made 674 to wheels on 9psi. Good luck!

Stock motor/opg's? Sorry to sound new but would psi be regulated by tune? Or just pulley size. I'd probably be going with the same BAP and injectors.

Thanks

_Snake_

Established Member
Don't take Procharger off your list because of where the air intake is. It seems like it would be less than ideal but has absolutely zero effect on IAT's and performance. Lots of folks here will back that claim up, and I have yet to see anything to the contrary from anyone with first hand experience.

Boost will be determined by pulley size.

Bryanh24

Established Member
Don't take Procharger off your list because of where the air intake is. It seems like it would be less than ideal but has absolutely zero effect on IAT's and performance. Lots of folks here will back that claim up, and I have yet to see anything to the contrary from anyone with first hand experience.

Boost will be determined by pulley size.
Very true. IAT's did not change at all after the procharger install. Don't listen to the people whole complain about the placement of the air intake. They are wrong.

Holovacko

Established Member
So, in regards to the coupler- On3 performance sells the CJ coupler that adapts from oval to round (or vice versa-whatever LOL).

I am also looking at boost but keeping my CJ. Some say its over kill, but I prefer the look and power band of the cj- i know, subject to change.

Currently I am leaning more towards paxton, as I really do not like how the procharger pulls air from the header region. Living in TX makes for reallllly hot weather- boost does not help.

Agree with above regarding team beefcake's special.

I was going to get a Procharger and the shop talked me into going Paxton. Will be switching back to stock intake and TB. Have the CJ Mono now. CJ will fit with the Paxton, but intake needs a spacer. Shop said they've seen no significant gain from Boss to CJ with the Paxton. Since I have stock long block, I won't be able to push the boost too high, so no need for the Boss or CJ.
Their reason for Paxton is that it makes good power and reliable enough for daily driver. They have multiple supercharged employee cars and Paxton was their recommendation. If keeping CJ, Procharger is the easier install, but without a built motor, I don't think you'll be able to get the full benefits.

Bryanh24

Established Member
I was going to get a Procharger and the shop talked me into going Paxton. Will be switching back to stock intake and TB. Have the CJ Mono now. CJ will fit with the Paxton, but intake needs a spacer. Shop said they've seen no significant gain from Boss to CJ with the Paxton. Since I have stock long block, I won't be able to push the boost too high, so no need for the Boss or CJ.
Their reason for Paxton is that it makes good power and reliable enough for daily driver. They have multiple supercharged employee cars and Paxton was their recommendation. If keeping CJ, Procharger is the easier install, but without a built motor, I don't think you'll be able to get the full benefits.
Paxton is great too! But I don't understand the reasoning behind them saying they like the paxton because it makes good power and reliable for DD. In the end it's all the same stuff, the procharger will be reliable and will make great power as well. Both are great brands and you really can't go wrong with either. I think the main reason why I got to 674 whp was bc of the Cj manifold and the longtubes. So far I love it and it is indeed my DD! Lots of fun LOL. Good luck with the car!

Holovacko

Established Member
Paxton is great too! But I don't understand the reasoning behind them saying they like the paxton because it makes good power and reliable for DD. In the end it's all the same stuff, the procharger will be reliable and will make great power as well. Both are great brands and you really can't go wrong with either. I think the main reason why I got to 674 whp was bc of the Cj manifold and the longtubes. So far I love it and it is indeed my DD! Lots of fun LOL. Good luck with the car!

They weren't against using a Procharger, they just said that, they haven't had any failures with Paxton or Vortech, but did have a failure this year with a Procharger. Since I was stock long block and wasn't pushing it too hard, the Paxton would provide enough power for what I was looking for, at less costs. I dropped it off last night, they'll do a baseline pull before and after, so we'll see.

joseph Jarosek

What about th3 fitment from the throttle body to paxton. Is there any adapter someone sells

Users who are viewing this thread