Cobra Jet manifold reworking

twistedneck

Established Member
To be honest... i like the exhaust CJ cam... the intake cam is a joke however. Im looking to switch up to stage 3 intake cams and a CJ exhaust cam. I like the split/specs personally. And no doubt you should be buzzing yours higher then that. Even if you dont pick up power... its about area under the curve through the gears. Also, I see no reason to swap heads to the big port ones. You are talking about extremelely minimal gains over the Boss head. I would play with cams personally. I was given some flow numbers of the Boss heads and they flowed very similar to the stage 1 RGR heads. However, the stock cams are so small, you will see such minimal difference between a boss head and a coyote head.

I do like the CJ cams and they are 150,000 mile cams, not as aggressive on the lobe ramp rates as comps or other customs. I'm very happy w this setup.

Lets stay in touch on the cam tuning and find out what it takes to tune that hump out and climb higher. The rest looks fine.

EJR

Established Member
I do like the CJ cams and they are 150,000 mile cams, not as aggressive on the lobe ramp rates as comps or other customs. I'm very happy w this setup.

Lets stay in touch on the cam tuning and find out what it takes to tune that hump out and climb higher. The rest looks fine.

Will do. If its not out of the equation... you should head down to MD in May

01bluesnake

Established Member
just waiting to bolt this bad boy up, should be on in 2 weeks!!!!

That does look really good! Was a filler used on top, or was it completely sanded down?

JohnRichard that setup looks amazing... i'm convinced this intake is light-years ahead of the boss, and porting it makes it that much better.

Just put my setup together and got it on the dyno, its makng big power but there is a small issue - new combo is cj intake / scj tb / 01bluesnake custom CAI.

Although my new numbers uncorrected - 467 HP /398 TQ are a huge step up from the boss im / 85mm tb / jlt of 440 HP / 372 TQ, there is a huge flat spot at 6300-6900 rpm now. looks like there is a lot of gains not realized up top, any ideas? does anyone else have a dyno curve like this with the cj mani?

Shaun has the air fuel dialed in, but due to my not being anywhere near California we are not doing as much with the vct tune optimization - I left that same as it was before with the old boss intake setup - there was no flat spot with that intake tho.

dyno3.jpg

here is an overlay of the old boss intake setup vs the new cj setup. I manually cut and pasted so its not exact but you can at least see the curve shapes. also, i'm on e85 now that was a 0HP gain (we checked). more for safety so the af looks different.

overlay.jpg

drew-cai.jpg

dyno run with numbers at the end.

5 0L Making Power NA Style! - YouTube

Congrats! car is making some really good power. I'm sure some more tweaks and changes to the VCT will definitely help and maybe get rid of the power dip up top.

twistedneck

Established Member
That does look really good! Was a filler used on top, or was it completely sanded down?

Congrats! car is making some really good power. I'm sure some more tweaks and changes to the VCT will definitely help and maybe get rid of the power dip up top.

Thanks Drew.

Any ideas on the cam schedule changes? Maybe we need a new dedicated thread for that.

ThatBadStang

Established Member
Finished manifold finished pics up. The ports look rough although they are very smooth and were finished with 400. I used a dremel to cut down the casting, then hit the runners with 60 grit followed by 100.

01bluesnake Would you be willing to do the porting on my CJ Manifold? #$$$

IDWALKU

RecordBreakinBrad
Established Member
Tjs car all assembled.

Coyote swap
Cobra Jet Manifold (no porting)
Super Cobra Jet Throttle Body
Rev Auto 5in B.F.I
1 3/4 longtubes
4.56s pump gass

13653713535_350807b0db_o.jpg

photo27.jpg

01bluesnake

Established Member
As of now I have no updates on the car. The car has been in limbo of what I'm doing to it or if I'm moving to a new platform all together so unsure what direction its heading.

86merc

Established Member
Thread is back!!! :thumbsup:

WEW!

Sweet!!! any updates?

Even though Drew is changing platforms I plan to continue with my car. The car will mainly see road course this year. But I have had the trans rebuilt and it shifts SOOOOO much better than it did when I got it with 10,000 miles. I hope this means I can shift closer to 8,000 rpm. That coupled with some lightening of the car I hope to get a 10 second time slip. A remote tuning session may happen with Shaun @ AED as well. Any updates or changes will be posted in here to keep a log of what is going on.

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
Switched mine to e85 a week ago or so... gets a whole 9.8 miles to a gallon, city driving, 12.5 highway. and I am running 3.55 gears. I have a set of 430s maybe in a couple weeks or so.

hi-rev

ScreaminCoyote
Established Member
I am slowly gathering parts for my cobra jet swap on my f150, I would like to know how much you are charging to do the cleaning up of a cobra jet manifold, I already have a rev auto 5 inch cold air intake and also have the dual 65mm cobra jet throttle body, all I need is the manifold and in reading this thread would like to get it cleaned up when I do get it

Users who are viewing this thread