Cobra Jet intake on a Vortech/Paxton can't be done right? WRONG ;)

nosscort

Established Member
I still feel like for the money and very little gains the boss manifold would have yielded the same results.

69camaro...

Established Member
i agree, but i also think the stock intake is just as good as CJ. It makes same power until 7k. Now with boost, making 600's, your pushing a stock motor to 7700 for an extra 20 wheel. Is it worth it?

01bluesnake

Established Member
For the hassle of getting the CJ to work, I don't see the 20whp up top that good of a $ per HP gain vs a stock manifold. I would almost bet you will see the same power gain up top as the CJ with a boss mani under boost but a lot cheaper and fits without costly expense. What a manifold will flow for N/A, is going to change when adding boost. Very cool setup either way.

PhillyLS1

Established Member
Dyno vid?

I don't haz

Is ur car manual or auto

Manual

I still feel like for the money and very little gains the boss manifold would have yielded the same results.

I've seen the BOSS lose low end torque with it's addition. This intake manifold didn't. Is it worth the cost? Well that's subjective. For someone with a V3? Probably not. For someone with a 2200, JT or YSi? Definitely. And that's the direction I'm going. We'll see what happens with the addition of the TQ Booster from Beefcake :D

i agree, but i also think the stock intake is just as good as CJ. It makes same power until 7k. Now with boost, making 600's, your pushing a stock motor to 7700 for an extra 20 wheel. Is it worth it?

We'll find out lol. Someone's gotta do the R&D. Keep in mind this is a long term project for me. The record for the fastest Coyote block had an Cobra Jet intake on it. I wanted to see if some of that would translate to a blower in lieu of a turbo. Like I said above, a JT Trim will probably go on this car next. I bolded what you said. I agree with you. And I think that's a good point. The stock intake manifold performs well up until around 6800. Where I've seen the Boss lose power and TQ the CJ didn't.

For the hassle of getting the CJ to work, I don't see the 20whp up top that good of a $ per HP gain vs a stock manifold. I would almost bet you will see the same power gain up top as the CJ with a boss mani under boost but a lot cheaper and fits without costly expense. What a manifold will flow for N/A, is going to change when adding boost. Very cool setup either way.

It wasn't a hassle honestly lol. Just a hood and intake spacers :) I wasn't expecting huge numbers out of it. Even NA the CJ picks up what? Like 15 hp? But I see the manifold delivering good returns as the boost gets turned up.

Honestly. I wasn't trying to set the world on fire. I never expected anything more than 15 hp and I honestly thought I would lose power down low. I'll keep this updated as the boost gets turned up and the head units change.

If anything this has proven that if you don't have the cash for a Boss, the stock manifold will work just fine. I couldn't have done any of this without the help of sponsors like CJ Pony Parts, Vortech and Revolution Auto. So the cost to me has been minimal vs someone who doesn't have help. BUT, I will stand by this. If you're trying to squeeze every last bit out of your car? I believe this is worth it.

Besides it looks cool lol.

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
I wouldnt be surprised if you are actually make similar, or better, power to a GT manifold with less boost. Boost is a measurement of restriction, and Lord knows the CJ top end doesnt have much, so the airflow vs boost should be greatly improved. If it improved a significant amount, it would raise the knock threshold on 93 alone, and allow for a more effecient setup over all. There is a lot more to the effeciency of a setup than peak numbers.

How are the intake spacers fashioned? I was seeing about making some thermal manifold gaskets for my CJ manifold in this thread:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1016933-How-to-make-the-intake-cooler

Maybe Rev Auto can adapt their spacers into something like that as well...

IDWALKU

RecordBreakinBrad
Established Member
If you guys look at the dyno graph the car actually picked up 29rwhp
That blip at the end was accidental from hitting the limiter... that is why I put the line in the dyno graph so that you could see that the car made 600 before the blip
notice there is no blip with the cobra jet. For that reason....

We were not willing to pull the cobra jet to its potential (7900 RPM) due to the vehicle not having a billet oil pump gear.

PhillyLS1

Established Member
So let's try this again I guess....

This was back in July.

20140702_220817_zpsla6mh5xy.jpg

20140702_220721_zpsnbcbrkez.jpg

The above is with the V3 and Beef's TQ Booster. We took the car out longer because an oil pump gear was installed.

If you look at the dyno sheet, you can actually see where the knock sensors are kicking in. Notice the green line dips.

That's 41.93hp and 45.82, in the heat. I posted the weather of these pulls to show how warm it was.

This is with the V7/JT, no other mods added and pump gas:

Dyno_zpsdcb2afcb.jpg

I hope this information helps people.

Last edited:

Boaisy

Established Member
Any news on a possible kit for this kind of setup? I've been thinking of doing a Vortech/CJ setup, and I'm glad someone took the time to do it.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Yeah right now the only one doing it is revolution auto. They got the spacers for clearance they got their modified version of the cobra jet intake which includes a larger then oem tube with a professionally paint job..go get some!

Cross187

I can't see the Photos. I have a CJ manifold and want to get a Paxton/vortech supercharger kit and still keep my CJ. Any way you could send me the pics of how you did it and info on how to do it? This is the first place I've found hope that it can be done. You can text me at 6093608644 my name is Keoni cross and you can find me on fb. Thanks bro.

joseph Jarosek

So this is what I've been tinkering with. I said to my buddy "I think I'm the first to do this."

He replied "I think you're the first to actually need a functional cowl hood!" :p

Howd you get it to fit the pictures went away im trying ot get mine done and the tb won't clear the charger. Who did yours and are they still selling it

This was labor intensive. But the power it should make hopefully will make it worth it. Talking to a few people about making a kit :-D

Credit for the idea goes to Revolution Auto. Rev Auto FTW.

View attachment 580580

View attachment 580581

View attachment 580582

View attachment 580583

View attachment 580584

Users who are viewing this thread