Cobra Jet intake going on stockish auto 5.0!!

sspstangbanger

Pushrod Killer!
Established Member
Limiters and vt deletes both reduce tq down low. The goal should be to increase the tq in the rpm range seen in the quarter.

I ran with and without limiters on multiple tunes and both lost torque below 4500 rpm
The car made great dyno numbers but required aggressive converter and tuning to get it to where I would have been on stock cams and less converter.
I shifted at 7,810 rpm
Rpm after shifts was 5,700-5,800 on 3.31 gear and 28" tire 121.8mph trap speed.
476 rwhp
Near full curb weight 2014 premium gt
Full suspension
K-member sway bar delete 17x7 15x10
X275 radial pro
Struts shocks etc
Alum d/s
11.33 on 93 octane in +1200da Texas heat

Goto s197forums and talk with the fastest n/a guys
None of them were cammed.
CJ boss and stock intakes almost all on 3.31 gear and 28" tire.

I only speak from my experience as well as several others I have personally dealt with or consulted with about their cars.
Danner has been the fastest and he had stock Boss Cams and CJ intake on 3.31 gears.
WBT is close second and is stock longblock 100% and ran same on CJ and Boss intake

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Most people "over cam" because they want the lopey idle or due to thinking bigger is better.

Last edited:

sspstangbanger

Pushrod Killer!
Established Member
What is the duration of the CJ cams?

Ford claims 290 adv no @.050 numbers.
I can say the comp stg3 exh cams without limiters can goto same specs as the CJ exh cams in a tune.
The CJ intake cams are smaller as they are the original designed boss cams.
FYI my 2014 had little to no lope at idle warmed up(cammed its ass off cold)

My max torque on comp sarge 3's and CJ was at 5,200-5,500 rpm

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
the Comps have far more intake duration than the CJ cams, @225 deg compared to 238 deg. Intake duration (closing) affects midrange power more than any other valve timing event.

693mki.jpg

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Ford claims 290 adv no @.050 numbers.
I can say the comp stg3 exh cams without limiters can goto same specs as the CJ exh cams in a tune.
The CJ intake cams are smaller as they are the original designed boss cams.

Ford claims 290 deg adv on the exhaust and 263 deg adv on the intake.

Last edited:

sspstangbanger

Pushrod Killer!
Established Member
correct, I misread it.

Something interesting is frpp CJ cams require springs and comp stage 3's don't.
I revved my 2014 as high as 8,000rpm several times on stage 3's and no springs with zero issues too.
The comp cams are lighter as well. They are drilled cams with a small counterbalance weight machined on them.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Basically the CJ and Comp Stg 3s, because of their intake dur differences have little in common since the intake duration sets the powerband.

sspstangbanger

Pushrod Killer!
Established Member
Basically the CJ and Comp Stg 3s, because of their intake dur differences have little in common since the intake duration sets the powerband.

With a set cam timing maybe but considering the VVT you can degree the cam smaller or bigger in effect to the engine powerband.

This brings back my point of cams being useless. If intake cams are determining your powerband then why does the CJ racecar has only 3 deg more @.003 duration than a stock boss or gt?How are cams beneficial to you at all?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
With a set cam timing maybe but considering the VVT you can degree the cam smaller or bigger in effect to the engine powerband.

This brings back my point of cams being useless. If intake cams are determining your powerband then why does the CJ racecar has only 3 deg more @.003 duration than a stock boss or gt?How are cams beneficial to you at all?

There is a point where the IV closing (IVC) point can be retarded no further. However, opening the valve earlier without moving the IVC has benefits; filling the cylinder in the first half of the intake stroke has great advantages when not operating at very high RPMs or when constrained by the intake manifold.

Time for some testing.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Kinda late in this thread.

I'm curious as to why sspstangbanger would suggest the plastic FRPP intake over Drew's custom aluminum intake. Is there any technical data behind this? I was in a toss up over the Rev Auto and Drew's intake. After speaking with drew on more than one occasion and also a few others that ran his intake over the Rev Auto, I went with Drew's intake.

There were issues with low RPM MAF readings on the Rev Auto and the intake is made out of mild steel vs. Aluminum. Mild steel will hold heat more than Aluminum and aluminum cools down faster. I got into an argument with a couple of guys on S197Forum for choosing aluminum and was hung out to dry for committing such a sin to get an aluminum over the mild steel.

I L O V E the rev auto and am still considering switching for the reason that it will complete the "look' of my engine bay over Drew's.

Also, can anyone advise what the point of Smoothing is? When speaking to AED, he advised that if smoothing is set to 5, the Dyno numbers are higher, but, it shows more of where the power is made, etc. My car made 438 on smoothing factor 5 STD, but, SAE corrected, it is somewhere around 421/367 with a Ported CJ, Mono-blade, Cat-deletes, intake, tune and mufflers.

I've seen numerous guys make upwards of 440 RWHP/390 RWTQ with the same setup, but with a mid-pipe instead over the cat-deletes with 0 smooth and SAE. It seems my numbers are quite low.

Thanks for any info guys.

-Chris

sspstangbanger

Pushrod Killer!
Established Member
I have seen a local car make 440+ on the frpp intake.
Plastic is cooler than aluminum or steel.
That being said my Rev Auto CAI was below ambient driving down freeway in Texas heat and I have proof
ec554009b1c265147bdb138c4e315ac9.jpg

For all those worried about the metal CAI
Texas heat after driving a hr on road!
2 deg below ambient driving!

08fordgt

Established Member
I just read this whole thread today. Pretty awesome! I want to do a cj setup in my 2015. I'm just still looking for options on the cai and tuner.

Users who are viewing this thread