Cobra Jet IM #s on my Coyote Swap

sneaky94cobra

Established Member
So finally got back from deployment and was able to install some nice parts on the cobra. Ok so I will be breaking this down from the the beginning of the swap to give a good idea of the progress. Current motor mod list are as follows:
-Stock 5.0 Coyote Long Block and Cams
-Cobra Jet Intake Manifold
-GT500 Throttle Body (I think it is dual 62mm)
-2010 C&L Cold Air with 90 mm maf
-1 3/4 inch primary BBK swap Long tubes
-2 1/2 inch pypes x pipe
-2 1/2 summit mufflers (quiet as hell)
- SCT 93 Octane tune by Brent at Dyno Tuned Performance in VB,VA (Special Thanks to Brent for an awesome tune)

Other Mods Include:
-26 spine 700hp Astro Performance TR-3650
-Aluminium Drive shaft
-3.73 Rearend Gears
-NT05 Drag Radials

Suspension
-Eibach Drags
-Lackwood 70/30s
-No front sway bar

Car Weight is Approximately 3000 with Driver

Dyno Numbers with Stock tune, Stock Cold Air and Swap LTs
IMG_0745_zpsbdffc934.jpg

Dyno Numbers with 93 Tune, JLT, and Swap LTs
iphonecar006_zpsb6e87b63.jpg

Dyno Numbers with 93 Tune, Cobra Jet Intake, C&L and Swap LTs
IMG_0741_zpsa2255eae.jpg

IMG_0723_zps9267a005.jpg

IMG_0728_zps00b91373.jpg

IMG_0730_zpsd4a662c3.jpg

Final numbers where 453 rwhp however if you look at the graph you can see how it drops off up top. My tuner talk with multiple people including revolution auto and JPC they all came to the same conclusion that my summit mufflers and 2 1/2 exhaust was choking it so i will be ordering some cutouts to test the theory. Also remember this is with a 90 mm maf, small cai and a stock GT500 throttle body. I will be working on a track visit to take a stab at 10s my previous personnel best with the stock intake manifold was 11.3 at 121. I was having to much fun last night with the new set up and think the rearend blew out. All I know is it makes some funky noise on decel. Will try to post a video after the track. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

BlackStripes

Established Member
Nice numbers!!

Man, I really wanted that intake but now I doubt my hood would clear the intake... do you have any idea how much extra clearance you needed ?

sneaky94cobra

Established Member
Ya there will be cutting

Boss intake or Cobra Jet intake even with a cowl hood you will need to cut. Stock hood an enormous amount of cutting is required. The good thing about a cowl hood is that if it is at least 2.5 inches tall you should have enough for it not to stick out.

BlackStripes

Established Member
Crap.. I keep looking at the picture with your hood cut trying to see if I can do a mental measurement .... :) . So, if you'd have to guess how much of the intake is exposed, what would you say? My hood doesn't have any bracing so nothing to cut underneath, and also mine is a 2000.

buffhomer

Lurker
Established Member
sneaky94cobra - Your post answered some questions for me, thanks for the pic with the '10 inlet tube.

Why not space the k-member down? I'm looking to fit this intake in my Fox Coyote swap with as small a cowl as possible and that's the route I'll likely take.

Good luck on your quest for 10s.

twistedneck

Established Member
usually lowering the kmember will make the headers hit the starter.

Man that is a nice looking car.. with the factory GT500 airflow IN should not be an issue, and technically with NA - the 2.5" pipes if they are smooth, w/o resonators and w/o cats you should have a lot of flow, however those mufflers if they are anything like the stock GT mufflers are horrific and creating back pressure. BUT Coyote engine is not very sensitive to back pressure in NA form so hmmmm. check the new S550 2015, uses the same damn muffler setup we have today with even worse routing, with resonators!

could be your tune causing the drop off make sure you have at least 120- 123 degree intake centerline and 110-114 ex. centerline at 7500 rpm (those are the CJ original tune numbers to high big rpm).. fyi on the CJ cams 139 degrees is zero advance on the intake cam and 138 is zero retard on the ex. cam. Nobody I know about should be that far even tuning for 8000 rpm.. 123 deg. is enough intake.. 110 exhaust cl is ideal for power, but going to 112 and even up to 114 will raise the rpm for peak power. on the intake valve side these tunes basically advance the shit out of the intake at the lower / mid rpms and retard it back to 120-123 at peak RPM. on the flip side the exhaust cams are about 106 cl in the mid range and 114 low and high rpm. (even high for N20 setups).

That may not be your issue at all but you have so much flow on those headers stock cam tuning is not allowing for that extra flow i.e. you have to open the exhaust valves earlier with shitty manifolds just to get that crap out of there so that hurts top end.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread