cobra for '08 gt/cs??

S197man

Established Member
Okay, I'll get into pro's and con's for you.

S197 Pros:

I love Cobras, but I will not lie. The S197 is a MUCH better built vehicle. It's tighter/stiffer, better quality interior parts, and feels like a tank.

NICE interior!! S197 is definatley a better DD, hands down.

Even a S197 V6 is a stiffer car then a Terminator.

The S197 was seemingly built with mod-minded people in mind (Cobra was too, imo). The S197 can be taken apart and put back together easier. There's more room under the hood.

S197 GT Can make 490whp safely with just a blower and a killer tune. S197 will get better MPG's.

S197 cons:

Car seems heavy. Car appears much bigger than it actually is. It's NOT a big car, it just appears big. A lot of old guys in their mid life crisis drive S197's. A lot of people get S197's and think they've got the fastest stang ever with a CAI and tune.

Cobra Pros:

Intense power, 6-speed, The awesome 4v exhaust sound, Nice brakes, EASY modification, etc

Cobra Cons:

More expensive insurance, worse on gas, heavier clutch, blah interior, not retro (if that's what you're into), etc..

silverstang23

Established Member

S197 Pros:

I love Cobras, but I will not lie. The S197 is a MUCH better built vehicle. It's tighter/stiffer, better quality interior parts, and feels like a tank.

The S197 was seemingly built with mod-minded people in mind (Cobra was too, imo). The S197 can be taken apart and put back together easier. There's more room under the hood.

S197 GT Can make 490whp safely with just a blower and a killer tune. S197 will get better MPG's.

S197 cons:

Car seems heavy. Car appears much bigger than it actually is. It's NOT a big car, it just appears big. A lot of old guys in their mid life crisis drive S197's. A lot of people get S197's and think they've got the fastest stang ever with a CAI and tune.

Cobra Pros:

Intense power, 6-speed, The awesome 4v exhaust sound, Nice brakes, EASY modification, etc

Cobra Cons:

More expensive insurance, worse on gas, heavier clutch, blah interior, not retro (if that's what you're into), etc..

I agree with this. The only thing i think differently is about the brakes. I think that stock gt brakes are a lot better then a cobra.

S197man

Established Member
Dont do it! When I test drove a whippled 07 gt the other day I couldnt tell the difference from my cai'ed/exhaust 06 gt i had. It was nothing compared to a cobra.

I LOL'ed!!!

Trust me. Something was wrong with the Whipple car.

Either that or you were in 4th gear the whole time. haha

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
I have an '07 GT with a whipple and mac axlebacks, NOTHING else...my car puts down 493rwhp (SAE Corrected) @ 10psi

that thing is a BEAST! :rockon:
do s197's normally put down that much power with a supercharger/axelback??
because the gt500 puts down like 460-470 to the wheels right?? :shrug:

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member

S197 Pros:

S197 cons:

Cobra Pros:

Cobra Cons:

i know what you mean, i used to have one.
ive noticed that s197's can make a u-turns in tight spots, unlike my terminator and some other cars ive test drove (350z, g35, evo)

S197man

Established Member
i know what you mean, i used to have one.
ive noticed that s197's can make a u-turns in tight spots, unlike my terminator and some other cars ive test drove (350z, g35, evo)

Yeah, I forgot about the tighter turning radius, good point there.

I love Terminators. But after being around Mustangs all of my life, I believe that the S197 is the better one so far. Not because it's "the new", but because it's a quality car with potential.

That's why I picked my screen name. :banana:

Julie GT07CS

Established Member
Well, we have both cars the OP is talking about. When my husband drives my GT/CS all he complains about is how slow it is! :( Hands down my interior is MUCH more comfortable than the 03 Cobra. My car has more accessible trunk space, too, and I don't crack my head on the trunk lid like I do on the Cobra.:cuss:

Looks like I need to ask Santa for a Whipple for Christmas...:pepper:

bullittrevor

Established Member
Went from a 06 gt to a 04 cobra. Dont do it! When I test drove a whippled 07 gt the other day I couldnt tell the difference from my cai'ed/exhaust 06 gt i had. It was nothing compared to a cobra.

:bored::bored: you cant be serious.

Last edited:

2k6silvergt

Established Member
I have had both an 06 whippled gt with the extras and an 03 cobra with just bolt-on's and the cobra was a lot better in my opinion. The s197 handled better and had a stiffer ride but the cobra responded to mods a lot better.

Users who are viewing this thread