Cobra emblem on vert seat faded to light grey

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
20170727_150553.jpg

I'm surprised other people's convertibles haven't had this issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Looks much better. Nice tip about using a fine point black marker.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I used a fine point blk sharpe marker. It took about 30 min each seat. You need to just go on each thread and let it wick in slowly. Key is to take you time
View attachment 1592332View attachment 1592333

Nice work!

Another tip for vert owners... if you park your car with the top down, flip your sun visors forward. Otherwise the side exposed to the sun gets bleached and Ford stopped making these visors long ago.

Goose17

Established Member
Yes! I need to get new visors or dye mine. Any aftermarket ones really close that you know of or proper dye to buy?

I dyed the set in my first car. I just got black dye at Walmart. They turned out decently.

As for buying replacements... there aren’t any available yet other than ones removed from other cars. I bought the last OEM set Ford had as a backup to store away. I can confirm there are no originals left. Maybe TMI will make some some day, but last I checked, they have not.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, I'm not surprised since you have a convertible. I wonder if there's a way of protecting the ink from the sun, to prevent re-bleaching. Either that or just re-do the Sharpe thing every year.

Goose17

Established Member
...or stop parking and leaving your vert with the top down. Put the top up if it’s going to sit for a bit.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
...or stop parking and leaving your vert with the top down. Put the top up if it’s going to sit for a bit.
The top has been up for about 20 miles of its life. We do lots of car shows and use the Saleen 1 piece tonneau cover. Those not be put in the trunk or in back seat to tuck away. You commit to it on. As you can see in photo
Lol as my wife says if we have to put the top up what's the point of taking it. Just use the other car.
I tried to find a fine tip upholstery pen like the fine tip Sharpie but I could not find one that had the pencil plastic sharp pointed tip.
Home07.jpeg

Goose17

Established Member
The top has been up for about 20 miles of its life. We do lots of car shows and use the Saleen 1 piece tonneau cover. Those not be put in the trunk or in back seat to tuck away. You commit to it on. As you can see in photo
Lol as my wife says if we have to put the top up what's the point of taking it. Just use the other car.
I tried to find a fine tip upholstery pen like the fine tip Sharpie but I could not find one that had the pencil plastic sharp pointed tip.View attachment 1657264

Well, you’ll just have to deal with sun bleaching then. I drive my convertibles with the top down, but when I park the car for whatever reason, the top goes up and a sun shade goes in the front window to preserve the interior.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Yes that darn sun bleaching sucks when you can't take the tonneau cover off and the top up at destinations
I was just hoping of the 1003 cobra convertibles someone had found a fabric dye pen that worked great. One that is pointy as the sharpe fine tip pen that doesn't fad so so fast.
I put 500 to 1,000 miles year on the car but hate redoing things like that every year.
I can't use larger dye pens in fear of bleeding the dye to the red inserts looking all smudged. I might try cannibalizing the Sharpie fine tip with dye pen. Will let everyone know if it works

I wanted to figure something out before I treat the red leather with conditioner.
Screenshot_2020-08-16-08-35-07.jpeg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I tried to find a fine tip upholstery pen like the fine tip Sharpie but I could not find one that had the pencil plastic sharp pointed tip.View attachment 1657264

Totally understand you and your wife's view of convertibles. Bleaching of surfaces is just something you have to accept, like Goose said. That goes for seating surfaces and upper dash, too. You must have to clean the interior much more than normal, too, since it's always open to the elements.

Awesome looking Cobra by the way. I love the Saleen tonneau cover! Does SO much to a convertible, looks wise.
upload_2020-8-17_8-4-37.png

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Hey Bob!, its been a long time on here. I remember you helping me out on the phone with some computer stuff years ago!

Thanks for compliment on car! . I have 4 Mustangs now And many other cars too, it's a expensive addiction

Convertibles sure do pose a whole different host of problems that need different tips and tricks. This is a great forum for collaboration. There is so much in keeping convertibles up "no pun intended" the hard tops don't experience for the most part.

I did actually call Sharpe Co. Ended up talking to R&D department. Explained a product need in convertible car world to put the UV fabric ink (they have already) into the ultra fine tip Sharpe just because of the sun fade issue trying to do detailed work

Will It go anywhere who knows probably not, But no chance of getting anything if you don't ask.

Users who are viewing this thread