Cobra crank support install instruction

Albatross

Established Member
I am in the process of installing the Lethal Performance crank support on my 03 Cobra. I'm hoping some of you with these crank supports can give me some guidance.

The legs that go from the back of the plate to the front of the timing cover (there are 4 of them), should they be sitting flush against the front cover before tightening the bolts? What I mean by this is should there be any horizontal movement allowed?

I have a very small gap between the timing cover and the leg when the leg is pushed all the way into the plate. This seems wrong to me. Seems like this would put pressure on the bearing and cause premature failure.

20220714_220628.jpg
20220714_220609.jpg

Its less than 1/16 of an inch. Probably around 1/32. I dont have a feeler gauge handy at the moment. The gap is the same on all 4 legs so I know it's not an alignment issue.

Just looking for a little clarification before I send this. These setups are not cheap and I'm about at my wits end with this damn thing. Those of you with experience installing these, please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Kubin-B

Established Member
I had that bolt snap on me a while back. Lost that spacer when it happened. I fabbed up another spacer, i dont remember if i used a washer or not. I will look when i get home. But i do remember thinking that it didnt look right to me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Blackedout

Established Member
Something is wrong... what did you do with the “L” supports for the oil pan ?

Albatross

Established Member
what did you do with the “L” supports for the oil pan

I haven't gotten that far in the install yet. Nothing is torqued down in those photos. I'm going to go ahead and add spacers and torque it down to see if it spins smoothly.

Albatross

Established Member
I had that bolt snap on me a while back. Lost that spacer when it happened

That bolt snapped while the motor was running? This whole setup makes me a little nervous. I've already had a stock lower fail on me.

D-MANN

Established Member
Have you reached out to lethal performance to see what they say?its their product they should have some answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackedout

Established Member
I haven't gotten that far in the install yet. Nothing is torqued down in those photos. I'm going to go ahead and add spacers and torque it down to see if it spins smoothly.

Are you sure the mandrel is all the way into the bearing ? I didn’t need any spacers when I installed mine..

Attachments

• E57578F7-B616-46C9-B887-1EB38612CCD7.jpeg
    E57578F7-B616-46C9-B887-1EB38612CCD7.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 77

Albatross

Established Member
Have you reached out to lethal performance to see what they say?its their product they should have some answers.

I have been speaking to Lethal back and forth. The person helping me isn't super knowledgeable on this particular product. He has been doing his best to get me answers and I totally appreciate it. I just figured I would ask the people with experience on this setup here in the forum.

Are you sure the mandrel is all the way into the bearing ? I didn’t need any spacers when I installed mine..

I pressed the bearing on exactly where it instructs you to in the install video. It's definitely not far enough but he gives no mention of this in the video. He specifically states to press it on to a certain point (inner radius of the inner bearing race to the edge of the mandrel) to leave some room to get the legs in. My concern is that once it is pressed on to where the legs meet the timing cover, how will it come off?

@Blackedout how did you get your bearing exactly where it belongs? Did you just go little by little and test fit the plate with the legs installed until you get the legs flush?

Also, are any of you checking the mandrel for runout before installing the plate? It seems to me that if it has any runout at all it could cause some problems. None of this is mentioned on the instructions or the install video. Seems odd to me.

Blackedout

Established Member
I have been speaking to Lethal back and forth. The person helping me isn't super knowledgeable on this particular product. He has been doing his best to get me answers and I totally appreciate it. I just figured I would ask the people with experience on this setup here in the forum.

I pressed the bearing on exactly where it instructs you to in the install video. It's definitely not far enough but he gives no mention of this in the video. He specifically states to press it on to a certain point (inner radius of the inner bearing race to the edge of the mandrel) to leave some room to get the legs in. My concern is that once it is pressed on to where the legs meet the timing cover, how will it come off?

@Blackedout how did you get your bearing exactly where it belongs? Did you just go little by little and test fit the plate with the legs installed until you get the legs flush?

Also, are any of you checking the mandrel for runout before installing the plate? It seems to me that if it has any runout at all it could cause some problems. None of this is mentioned on the instructions or the install video. Seems odd to me.
I had the bolts holding the legs in place and slowly pressed on until they were flush with the timing cover... when it comes time to remove the support it’ll need to be pulled off with a puller..

Albatross

Established Member
Can anybody tell me how much longer the belt needs to be from the original lower setup to the crank support setup.

I finally had some time to get this thing together and the belt is way to short. Same belt I was using on the stock lower. New ring is stock size so I figured it was going to fit. Now I have to take it all back apart, AGAIN! I am seeing red with this thing at this point.

They changed the design of the idler on the plate. It is no longer adjustable which is absolutely ridiculous. Why in the hell did they change it to what is obviously an inferior design? Also, there is no mention of belt sizes or the change to the design on the website, on the instructions or on the install video. I am furious with this thing. The lack of detail in the instructions is laughable. I expect a higher quality when spending this kind of money.

papajoewill

Established Member
Can anybody tell me how much longer the belt needs to be from the original lower setup to the crank support setup.

I finally had some time to get this thing together and the belt is way to short. Same belt I was using on the stock lower. New ring is stock size so I figured it was going to fit. Now I have to take it all back apart, AGAIN! I am seeing red with this thing at this point.

They changed the design of the idler on the plate. It is no longer adjustable which is absolutely ridiculous. Why in the hell did they change it to what is obviously an inferior design? Also, there is no mention of belt sizes or the change to the design on the website, on the instructions or on the install video. I am furious with this thing. The lack of detail in the instructions is laughable. I expect a higher quality when spending this kind of money.
I appreciate you sharing your experience. I've been on the fence about one and now glad I waited. I agree for that amount of money there should be no guess work with the installation process. I'm sorry to hear you're having that trouble and hope you get it resolved very shortly.

Albatross

Established Member
Updates or is this dead in the water?

I got it all together. Took a bit more trial and error but it's installed and running. I haven't had time to take it on the highway for wot runs yet. It seems to be holding fine for now.

Users who are viewing this thread