Cobra > Camaro SS

Dynotune04

The Turtle
Established Member
This is comical.
You draw up a picture of a Z28 and use that as a comparison?

Doesn't it register to some of you 'pee brained' folk how dumb that looks?
You comparing a base model Camaro to a Z28.
To a base model Mustang, then a Cobra?

De dee deee.

V6 Camaro/ V6 Mustang
Z28 Camaro/ GT Mustang
SS Camaro/ Cobra

Let me help some of you with a little guide:
How to spot a V8:

This is DEFINITELY not a V6.

z1-1.jpg

NOT a V6.
Hawk3.jpg

Not a V6:
eea1_3.jpg

Not a V6:
s2131.jpg

Not a V6:
96open.jpg

Not a V6:
movinbird.jpg

Not a V6:
DSCN1473.jpg

Not a V6:
back-in-black-elite-360-confirmed-2.jpg

Not a V6:
duke.jpg

Not a V6:
72Camaro.jpg

Not a V6:
monte1.jpg

My sled, Not a V6:
Cat2.jpg

Not a V6:
p4464_image_large.jpg

Not a V6:
chevrolet-corvette-zr1-33.jpg

Not a V6:
c3-1.jpg

--

Haha the Iron Duke lol

And my car,
Not a V6:

-
z2-frontright.jpg

V6
7427-1987-Buick-Grand-National.jpg

burnzilla

Established Member
The car I posted is a Monte Carlo, not a GN.
Thought you guys knew your cars?

Last edited:

Dynotune04

The Turtle
Established Member
The car I posted is a Monte Carlo, not a GN.
Thought you guys knew your cars?

i do know my cars. i know you posted a monte carlo. By the way those are the UGLIEST g bodys know to mankind. but there are not big differeces in g-bodys from monties to regals to cutlas to a malibu to a gran prix. and you guys say the mustang has to many models?
my point was its not that easy to tell the difference between them (all g-bodys). And fwiw gran nationals are way more bad ass than monties.

Last edited:

cobra_matt

Established Member
I thought so too! I didn't think to look back as I referenced the car they posted.

I guess they were in such a hurry to own you that they owned themselves:beer::rockon::D

I also knew it wasn't a Grand National. I thought it was funny because burnzilla posted all those "Not a V6" pictures then Dynotune04 posted a V6 picture.

Kingcater

Can't stop modding...
Established Member
I also knew it wasn't a Grand National. I thought it was funny because burnzilla posted all those "Not a V6" pictures then Dynotune04 posted a V6 picture.

Yea I can see your point.....what's funny is this thread keeps going. Gotta love it. Anytime it's Ford vs GM it always ends up like this

svttim

MCA National Director
Established Member
Wow, long read, learned nothing that I didnt already know. Ford VS Cheby is still very much alive. Not much a drag racer but, I dont see many F bodys on the road courses, just lots of Vettes.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
f-bodies are great.

for pulling double wide trailers--good torque from that ls1 to get your home moving.

Deuuuce

Established Member
Prove it. Show me proof that they will out corner and out skidpad a Mustang GT.

I have an idea of how the two cars handle. I have never been fond of a Fbodies handling,

Wow, long read, learned nothing that I didnt already know. Ford VS Cheby is still very much alive. Not much a drag racer but, I dont see many F bodys on the road courses, just lots of Vettes.

Interesting considering Mustangs are absolutely uncompetitive in SCCA T2 and there are still quite a few Fbodys and a GTO or two in the Runoffs.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Interesting considering Mustangs are absolutely uncompetitive in SCCA T2 and there are still quite a few Fbodys and a GTO or two in the Runoffs.

Mustangs dominate certain classes while fbodies dominate others.

MyLaps.com || Race and practice results powered by AMB i.t. transponders
(first 7 positions held by Mustangs followed by a Camaro)

http://www.griggsracing.com/news/05_AV8SS_BIG_WINNERS.pdf
Congratulations are due for winning the inaugural American V-8 Supercar Series
Championship in fine form. After upgrading his GR40 Cobra to the new SLA system
Barry won the final race of the year at Nashville Super Speedway, finishing ahead of Pete
Johns in his near
Nextel Cup Firebird
and held off a late
charge from a very
well prepared
Corvette Z06.

In any case we are both comparing race prepped cars. In factory trim 03-04 Cobras pull higher skidpad #s, faster slalom times and come equipped with better brakes. Not bad for a supercharged car that is heavier with all the additional weight being mostly in front due to the iron block, blower and supporting components.

[ame=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-144282678259197538&q=cobra&pl=true]Car and Driver 2003 SVT Cobra review[/ame]

Anyways, I don't see why this thread has gone on this long. Having owned both platforms I think they're both great. Back when I sold my WS6 over 3 years ago I was still able to get $17,500 for it and buy a 03 Cobra for $23,000 with low miles. It was well worth the cost difference for me.

However, nowadays fbodies have dramatically fallen in price while Cobras have still held their value. In all honesty if I still had my WS6 I probably won't sell it to buy a Cobra since it would be close to a $12,000 price difference now.

LS1 fbodies are a STEAL for what they go for nowadays, if I don't sell my Cobra to buy a vette I will probably buy another fbody to compliment my Cobra. :rockon:

Deuuuce

Established Member

In any case we are both comparing race prepped cars. In factory trim 03-04 Cobras pull higher skidpad #s, faster slalom times and come equipped with better brakes. Not bad for a supercharged car that is heavier with all the additional weight being mostly in front due to the iron block, blower and supporting components.

Actually your examples are "more" race prepped than SCCA T2.

However, you have a good point. NASA ranks them equally and the Cobra one class higher...

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/Performance-Touring-rules.pdf

I should amend my statement. However, the S197 has a poor showing even on the Lightning Lap C&D. The '09 with the Track Pack should definitely do better.

svttim

MCA National Director
Established Member

I speaking about track days. You know, the kind if thing the average person attends, I have been to the Midwest F Body event several times, the only thing missing, an actual F-Body car. Im not dis'ing the car at all, just an observation

64T-bolt

Fist Fornicator
Established Member

MyLaps.com || Race and practice results powered by AMB i.t. transponders
(first 7 positions held by Mustangs followed by a Camaro)

http://www.griggsracing.com/news/05_AV8SS_BIG_WINNERS.pdf

Car and Driver 2003 SVT Cobra review

Anyways, I don't see why this thread has gone on this long. Having owned both platforms I think they're both great. Back when I sold my WS6 over 3 years ago I was still able to get $17,500 for it and buy a 03 Cobra for $23,000 with low miles. It was well worth the cost difference for me.

However, nowadays fbodies have dramatically fallen in price while Cobras have still held their value. In all honesty if I still had my WS6 I probably won't sell it to buy a Cobra since it would be close to a $12,000 price difference now.

LS1 fbodies are a STEAL for what they go for nowadays, if I don't sell my Cobra to buy a vette I will probably buy another fbody to compliment my Cobra. :rockon:

I will agree with that. if i was buying a used car to drive/race and didnt have the money for a terminator the F-bodies are definately good bang for the buck. 96-98 cobras with built motors and blowers are comparable in price and performance too. .(10-15k)

I will give my useless opinion too. . vettes and f-bodies alike are great cars and run really well. . its the GTO's that get me going. Those guys run around in their mutated cavaliers in packs with loud exhausts and "dubs" acting like wannabe f-bodies, and on the track and street they perform like baby seals playing stick ball with eskimos. . . can you say pink mist. .

i keeed, i keeed. . . but really i havent been beatin by one yet (a GTO that is). . .

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member

Hummm, IDK much of anything about the SCCA T2, but let me guess at some things. You probably have to run a factory style suspension, with maybe factory control arms both F/R? I would imagen you can probably play with your spring rates and maybe a few chassis mods? A F-Bodies factory suspension design is no dout a better design for handling than the 79-04 Mustangs factory suspension. F-Bodies come with a SLA front suspension, with a 3link using a torque arm and panhard bar in the rear.(someone please correct me if I'm wrong) On the other handle a Foxbody platform comes factory with Modified MacPhersons that look like they belong on a Ox cart, and a 4link thats even worse than the MacPhersons. Most people looking to improve a Mustangs handling by giving it pretty much the same suspension setup as a Fbodies. Some even add a SLA front suspension on their Mustangs but you can still make the MacPherson handle very well.

What about the motor? If your driving a Mustangs and have to use a N/A 4.6 motor then you are infact outclass by the LS1 in the F-Body.

Deuuuce

Established Member
I speaking about track days. You know, the kind if thing the average person attends, I have been to the Midwest F Body event several times, the only thing missing, an actual F-Body car. Im not dis'ing the car at all, just an observation

You know, a couple friends at the gym with Griggs Mustangs who compete regionally in NASA events have told me the same thing.

Does so many Fbodys having T-tops have anything to do with it (like required structural bracing, etc)?

Users who are viewing this thread