cobra bumper on gt

Stang GT

Bring it on!!!
Established Member
hey guys just wondering how much work would it be to put a 04 cobra bumper on my 04 gt it looks to be an easy fit but as with anything there are always surprises and how hard is it to change the fog light wiring to fit the cobra foglight from the gt ones thanks to anyone with any help

99v6stang

Established Member
i know a couple guys who have done this. i dont think the wiring is any differnt. the bumper and hood is a close fit but thats the worst part about it.

DsilverM

Established Member
Yeah I think its pretty much straight forward, I just heard you need to raise your hood a little

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
I have one and the wiring for the bulbs is different, but all you have to do is wire the 03/04 cobra foglight wiring harness for the foglights on your car and your done. Its really easy. Im about to do mine. I miss having foglights

00TerminatedGt

Established Member
If your going with the cobra front bumper, u will have to raise your stock gt hood a bit. I didnt have to change any wires to make the new cobra fog lights work with my gt harness, they fit right in! Its pretty easy, same goes for the back bumper

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
If your going with the cobra front bumper, u will have to raise your stock gt hood a bit. I didnt have to change any wires to make the new cobra fog lights work with my gt harness, they fit right in! Its pretty easy, same goes for the back bumper

id love to know how you got the wiring harnesses to work for 2 totally different bulb types. Im not saying you didnt but id just like to see how you did because I know ive been told 100's of times to rewire in the plug for the 893 bulbs for the 03/04 cobra foglights. Also I didnt have to move my stock GT hood one bit, the smaller gap of the GT hood vs the 03/04 hood makes it much better looking IMO

BADD281

Because Race Car
Established Member
You dont have to raise the hood at all. You need to push the bumper top posts back about a half inch and mark where to drill new holes. Then you clip the bumper in the new holes and call it a day..

FABMAN

Established Member
I also believe you will need to change the grill surround to a Cobra/Mach 1 delete style. Not sure but you may also need a headlight header panel (again not sure about the 2nd one).

whipplecharged0

Established Member
i have a question. i have been thinking about doing this for a long time. where can i find a cobra front bumper and how much will i be looking at spending??

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
I also believe you will need to change the grill surround to a Cobra/Mach 1 delete style. Not sure but you may also need a headlight header panel (again not sure about the 2nd one).

nope you dont need to change out the headlight panel

I just painted where the grill used to be black and it looks great, much better

i have a question. i have been thinking about doing this for a long time. where can i find a cobra front bumper and how much will i be looking at spending??

I bought mine painted from perishingautobody off of ebay for $380 shipped. Its not OEM but you cant tell the difference in fit and finish

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
yeah the bulbs are different. theres a pigtail you can buy off 50resto so the wiring makes contact with the bulb the way it should be. you could make it work by just forcing the connection into the bulb then taping it but water gets in there and fouls it up and you go through bulbs. just buy the pigtail thing. its like $20 for both sides.
also, most of the time these bumpers (even when painted) dont come with the fog light bezels, fog lights, bulbs, screws and the friggin $100 piece of rubber that attaches to the bottom surface. they dont make this obvious when you purchase these. the best way to go is to buy a complete used one that has all the trim on it already even if you pay a little more because you get nickel and dimed with all the trim crap that completes the bumper even if you dont go through the dealership to buy them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread