Clutch

5.0Black

Established Member
Hello Everyone,

I hate to keep creating threads, but in my research I can't really seem to find a consistent answer on what people who are running SC's are using. Especially in my model year Mustang. I have tried hitting the search button for some of the clutches I am looking at without luck, or at least not a lot of it.
My mustang is a 13 gt with a soon to be installed Roush phase 1 SC with a VMP e-tune. Advertised figures are 575hp and 505tq at the crank, VMP tune will probably boost this number by 50 at the crank give or take 10. Once out of CA I will most likely go Phase 2 with a tune from VMP (provided the phase 1 tune goes well which I am sure it will). Phase 2 advertises 625 and 525tq and again figure VMP will get an extra 50 give or take 10. Obviously it is hard for VMP to give a concrete number without a dyno, but figure phase 1 peak being 635hp and 570tq at the crank and phase 2 peak being 685hp and 585tq at the crank. VMP recommended getting a clutch rated to 700tq, which I am guessing is to be "safe" but 700 tq figures is a different league of clutches that sacrifice some of what I want in a clutch.
In a clutch I am am looking for a stock like feel, early engagement, a consistent feel, no shutter and noises from the clutch with a life span that can last me years to come (hoping for something that can go beyond 50k before needing any work/resurfacing). I know longevity comes to mods, driver and driving circumstances but is one clutch and material supposed to last longer than others? From what I can tell single and organics last the longest. My car will see time at Leguna Seca and a drag strip. I can't say how many times a year, but it will certainly be 2-4 times. I don't aspire for this to be a track car first by any stretch of the imagination, just capable of safely handling it on occasion as the majority of this cars driving will be traffic, around down, road trips and normal driving aspects. Because track days will be minimal in my book I am willing to sacrifice a couple tenths of a second for something that lasts significantly longer and feels OEM like. This will be mated to an MGW shifter and I plan to do a flywheel and TB. Clutch wise I have narrowed things down to the following:

1. Exedy Stage 3 Mach 500. Rated to 498 tq at the wheels according to American Muscle and no HP rating stated. It should handle phase 1 with a VMP tune, and possibly the phase 2 but it is nearing the max threshold for both phases I fear. I have this on the list as the reviews seem to be mostly positive, no shutter, very OEM in stiffness, it is quiet and has an early engagement point that is forgiving. It also is an organic which means it should have the longest life, though I am unsure how long that life would be.

2. Exedy Stage 4 Mach 600: 587tq at the rear wheels according to AM, but again no hp rating. It seems to be a similar clutch to the Mach 500 except it is stiffer, some reports of chatter, not as forgiving and it uses a different material than (cerametallic) so it may not last as long. This is no doubt due to it being able to handle higher power levels. Unless I am reading into the cons of this and there really isn't shutter and it isn't much stiffer it seems like this is on my list solely because of added tq.

3. Mantic 1000hp clutch (M921236). The pro's seem to be everything and one of the best if not the best clutch on the market in terms of driving. The con's are the price and potential longevity. If I am shelling out this level of money I don't want to have to do any repairs/work for a very long time to come. Online I didn't really see any long term mileage claims, and when talking with Mantic it seemed like 30K was an obtainable number, which for over 2k is a con for me. It is certainly on the list because of the positive reviews, but I worry about mileage life. Again, I know mileage lifespan comes to various different factors but I can find single disc clutches lasting twice as long as this 2k unit.

4. Exedy Twin disc- Higher HP rating though I hear the clutch stiffness is extremely light which may be a drawback for me. I like the stock clutches level of stiffness and feel. I also read again that you shouldn't expect more than 20-30K life span out of the unit which seems like a short life span for a 1600 USD unit when including a TB. The drawback here is it is a bit on the pricey side and getting closer to the Mantic price. Because of this it is barely on my list, but I am very open to hear reports as I can be swayed.
I would consider the RST and RXT but unless I miss understood twin discs don't last as long as a single if all things were equal with the same drive and car. Plus I have read far to many negative reviews to the point that it seems almost 50/50 if you have a positive experience or not.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I could certainly use some help with this matter. Anyone out there running my setup or something similar power wise? Is this just the vice of want to do occasional track days and SC in not being able to have a longer term clutch? I am hoping I am wrong in some of my statements lol. Thank you everyone for all the help offered on this forum throughout this process, it has been truly appreciated.

Last edited:

5.0Black

Established Member
McLeod RST
I appreciate the reply, but I have read a lot of complaints with McLeod RST and RXT. Lot of people love them, but a lot of people don’t seem satisfied with them. Not to jinx myself on the clutch I choose of course, but their is too much risk there from what I have read.

Last edited:

5.0Black

Established Member
Update. I ended up ordering the Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 grooved clutch with the matching flywheel, TB as well as Ford Racing clutch line kit. Ended up calling Exedy and the tq rating for the Mach 500 is a conservative to the wheels tq rating. I am hoping to have it installed in the next week or 2.

TVSed GT

Established Member
Update. I ended up ordering the Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 grooved clutch with the matching flywheel, TB as well as Ford Racing clutch line kit. Ended up calling Exedy and the tq rating for the Mach 500 is a conservative to the wheels tq rating. I am hoping to have it installed in the next week or 2.
Awesome, hope you enjoy the new mods!

Users who are viewing this thread