Clutch went out, which replacement?

850SNCobra

Established Member
On my build,I’m trying to keep within stock specs,since It’s just gonna be a daily driver.

I would recommend a new pivot stud for your clutch fork,it will keep it from moving around too much.
That's actually not a bad idea on keeping it on closer end to stock.
10-4 on the pivot stud, will probably add that to the list too.

I'm starting to think this might have been a bad clutch install since the previous owner "said" he had just replaced the clutch. We've only had the car going on two years. and haven't put a ton of miles on it.

nomoretickets

Established Member
Generally, you want your clutch to be the weakpoint in your driveline. Idea being you blow up your clutch rather than something thats really expensive. For a bolt on car, King Cobra is more than sufficient.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
All good suggestions given in this thread. But if you want a soft clutch pedal feel (daily driver) while still holding bolt-on power, then I would purchase a McLeod Street Pro clutch.

I have a supercharged application with the McLeod Street Pro clutch for a couple years with no issues. I can push the clutch down with one finger versus getting a leg exercise everytime i drive the car.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
I don't mind clutch pedal feel either way, but if you are daily driving your Cobra and live in an area where you must drive in traffic for hours daily it gets old really quickly especially if you have knee/leg problems, osteoarthritis etc. Just suggesting another option for the OP.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I don't mind clutch pedal feel either way, but if you are daily driving your Cobra and live in an area where you must drive in traffic for hours daily it gets old really quickly especially if you have knee/leg problems, osteoarthritis etc. Just suggesting another option for the OP.

Well a knee issue is a different story.
I drove my Cobra daily for several years (including winters) in Boston traffic.
Different strokes for different folks.
I still prefer a hard pedal.

nomoretickets

Established Member
Love the firm pedal on my Cobra for spirited driving. However, it was tasked with DD duties for a few years here in Chicago, and let me tell you, traffic got really old really fast with that pedal.

850SNCobra

Established Member
My drive home from work in 5 o'clock traffic isn't that bad. Maybe 20-25 minutes to get home from work in the worst of traffic. I survived the first year w/ the stiff pedal I should be fine, I'm not too old yet that my knees are causing problems lol.

Also
Dropped all the parts off this morning, he was hoping to have her done today or early tomorrow morning. Either way I'm happy to not have to deal with it this time around, although after watching a few youtube vids I think that replacing the clutch myself would've been a great way for me to get more familiar with my ol Cobra.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
All good suggestions given in this thread. But if you want a soft clutch pedal feel (daily driver) while still holding bolt-on power, then I would purchase a McLeod Street Pro clutch.

I have a supercharged application with the McLeod Street Pro clutch for a couple years with no issues. I can push the clutch down with one finger versus getting a leg exercise everytime i drive the car.

Really? That's surprising. I thought a single disk heavy duty clutch like that would have a pretty hard pedal. I also daily drive my Cobras, and once I tried McLeod's RST/RXT's, I had never wanted to go back to a conventional clutch again because the pedal was so light. But that is encouraging to hear just in case I ever want to give one a try again.

850SNCobra

Established Member
So how’s that new clutch working for you Op?
Man let me tell you guys. The clutch is 100x better than before. It’s actually lighter than before and the gear shifter itself feels like freakin’ butter when compared to how it was before.

Initially when I got it back from The shop the clutch pedal wouldn’t spring back up when pushed all the way down. I did a little searching and found out about the auto adjustment by putting into 1st gear w/the car off and pulling up on the pedal to remove the clutch cable slack. Worked a treat.

Can’t wait until I hit 500 miles for the break-in period to be done.

Got brakes to do up next, gonna stick with oem style coated rotors and hawk pads.

850SNCobra

Established Member
Anyone ever had a new Timken TOB squeak/squeal?

The brand new Timken TOB I got from RockAuto has been squealing ever since I got the new clutch installed anything you guys recommend?
Is replacing it the only thing I can do at this point?

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Anyone ever had a new Timken TOB squeak/squeal?

The brand new Timken TOB I got from RockAuto has been squealing ever since I got the new clutch installed anything you guys recommend?
Is replacing it the only thing I can do at this point?
Replace it with an FRPP part.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
valeo king cobra clutch here, upgraded to 11". pedal effort is fine, not a problem at all. if it hasn't been replaced, replace your cable too.

I would not even consider a Spec. Everyone I know who has had one hated it.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
If the OEM cable isn't giving you problems I'd leave it. If you do replace it, replace it with MM/OEM (same thing). Do NOT use any other cable.

I always do an Exedy Mach 400 11" clutch, new flywheel and I use the Exedy TOB and Pilot that are included in the box. Exedy is an OEM manufacturer, I've never had an issue with doing it this way.

Users who are viewing this thread