Clutch/TOB/Clutch Cable problems, idk whats going on

daniellee922

Months ago I had my throwout bearing and clutch replaced (exedy stage 3), i ended up needing a flywheel too. after my mechanic got it all in, the car wouldn't go into gear, so i went and bought a new adjustable clutch cable, tightened the shit out of it and it went into gear. on my way home on the interstate (rack and pinion went bad too, so no power brakes or steering) less then 5 miles in between shop and house, i go to shift from 6th to 4th to get on the off ramp, and the car wouldn't go into gear, we ended up pushing it a quarter mile and had to tighten the cable again, when i got home i looked at the clutch cable and saw that the TOB was cracked...again. so i ordered the rack and pinion, and my mechanic and i did the TOB and rack and pinion. i then ordered a new clutch cable with firewall adjustor, and got it just right, the car then would not go into gear, so it sat on a lift for a weekend, when i went to work on it again, it went right into gear, but shifting from 5/6th over the reverse hump (idk what its called) was a bitch, but it would then go into reverse. fast forward to last thursday aug 31, im on my way to work and i hear a sort of pop, and it wont go into gear, **** me. after sitting for 15 minutes i had a thought, so i put it into 1st and cranked it, it sputtered, lurched, and i rode the car all the way to the garage on base. looked at it again...TOB. Yesterday i put in another one and it wouldnt go into gear again, so i adjusted the firewall adjuster, and it would kindof go into gear. so i drove it home, today i lifted it to tighten the clutch cable, and the TOB is cracked again, idk what to do or what is going on. so i drove it home about 12 miles, half way through my clutch went from terminator stiff to almost hydraulic butter soft, still goes into gear, wtf is going on, im still browsing forums, if anyone knows please help.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Where is it cracking? Do you have a picture of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daniellee922

Sorry for the delayed response
cracked TOB.jpg

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
So it looks to me that the bearing is cracking in the center of the fork. Your pedal being super stiff leads me to believe that the bearing is cracking when you press the clutch pedal. Is the flywheel installed correctly? There wasn't a spacer installed behind the fly wheel or something like that? Are you adjusting the clutch cable to proper specifications then taking it even further just to get it to engage the clutch properly? It could be that you are damaging the bearing by doing this also. I would make sure the next time you pull the transmission, to check the diaphragm spring on the pressure plate for excessive wear or damage. Something is putting excessive stress on that bearing. You need to watch as someone presses the clutch pedal in and out to see if and where the bearing is catching or binding. You may find it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hotcobra03

Established Member
That's crazy. .I've done mine a lot but never had them crack....

How about pic of cable at firewall?

Most say use oem with firewall adjuster..

I went with adjustable cable but no firewall adjuster..I extended the cable at fork to make up length for single hook quadrant. .

Did you oil cable before install?

This I found caused me major issue..
I had to remove my cable and oil it..

I had super hard to push pedal..

I had snapped a few cables in a couple days ,it was that hard to push

Four Door SVT

Established Member
That's crazy. .I've done mine a lot but never had them crack....

How about pic of cable at firewall?

Most say use oem with firewall adjuster..

I went with adjustable cable but no firewall adjuster..I extended the cable at fork to make up length for single hook quadrant. .

Did you oil cable before install?

This I found caused me major issue..
I had to remove my cable and oil it..

I had super hard to push pedal..

I had snapped a few cables in a couple days ,it was that hard to push

And you still didn't crack your TOB

The op should start over, clean and relube the rotating parts and locktite the parts that don't. Check how you have the fork and the TOB assembled

To bad you have to do again, post photos while your in to it.

Users who are viewing this thread