Clutch spline

Cobra 01

Established Member
Hello everyone,

Got a question and I'm hoping to find some answers. So I have been doing some research on new clutches. However, I am trying to figure out my spline count. I have seen 10, 26 and 31 spline clutches. I've also looked at articles all over the interweb and each one I have seen states that if the 8 letter in the vin is an X then you have a 8 bolt Windsor and if its a W then you have a 6 bolt Romeo. So here is my issue the 8th letter in my 01 cobra is a V. Still the stock clutch. Any suggestions?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Stock is 10 spline. 26 spline is an aftermarket upgrade.

The articles you're talking about have to do with 2V engines. Even then it doesn't mean much anymore. The cars are old enough that things could have been swapped around.

Cobra 01

Established Member
Thank you. I'm guessing some of the people writing those articles don't know what they have. One other thing, if I want to go to a 26 spline clutch is there any modifications to the driveshaft or transmission I have do perform? I'm planning on changing to an aluminum driveshaft anyway.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The 26 spline upgrade has to do with the input shaft. I don't know if they make that for the 3650's anymore. I imagine someone somewhere does, but you have to consider the use of the car. If it's 90% street and you're not making a ton of power I doubt you'll need it. I had a bone stock 3650 live behind a 600+hp big bore stroker for a long time because I didn't abuse it.

The 26 spline upgrade has nothing to do with the driveshaft.

Users who are viewing this thread