Clutch (spec3) problem ... help!

coleman

Established Member
Ok, last Friday @ the track I started hearing a new noise coming from my tranny...

When I press the clutch *ALL* the way to the floor, I hear a br-r-r-r-r-r-r noise... like somethings rubbing badly.

I don't have to depress the clutch that far to shift, but in the heat of racing I've grown accustom to slamming it down, shifting, and letting up... which might explain my slow shifts.

but anyway, i hadn't heard this noise before :cryying:
what could be wrong .. this is a spec3 clutch.

other that the above noise, it seems to be acting fine.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I've been told there is a lot of noise/chatter with the Spec3 setup. Couldn't tell you personally, but that's why I went with the spec 2.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I know guys have been talking about the TOB retainer/sleve getting wore, maybe thats happening to you? Did your spec III come with the spec composit TOB?

On a side note, how do you like the spec III for daily driving?

coleman

Established Member
spec3 took a little getting used to ... i don't have a problem with it except for the one above.

i think something isn't adjusted right or worked it's way loose.

at least it lets me know when i'm pressing the clutch in too far.

it wasn't making this noise before the strip as far as i know...

dougwg

Established Member
Coleman,

Do you have a firewall adjuster?

you could be bottoming out thee clutch fork??!?!?

coleman

Established Member
wouldn't bringing it up more with a firewall adjuster make it even bottom out even sooner?
that's what my un-informed brain is thinking...

engage half-way ... bad noise & full depress.
so if i engage right on top wouldn't i be making the bad noise @ half-way??? :??:

dougwg

Established Member
you would think...yes... but try adjusting it one way...then the other and see if it makes a differance

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
The noise you are hearing may be the pressure plate fingers hitting the clutch disc. The pedal may be causing the release fork to travel too far and push the fingers in towards the disc too much. If this is the case, the simplest solution is to add some free play to the top of the pedal. The will lessen the distance the release fork travels. If that solves the problem, you could install a smaller quadrant, similar to the stock size because the larger one is no longer needed. You no longer need the extra travel for full release that the stock clutch did.

The other possibility is broken/loose spring(s) in the disc.

Boy, if it isn't one thing it's another with these clutches????

Dana

bender460

Established Member
Dana is right I had this hapen to me. I did not add free play to the pedal (well I did but my clutch pedal would jump bad,I think I damaged some of the forks), There should be very light pressure on the tob. What I did is limit the throw of the pedal. If you look at your pedals you will notice the clutch about 1" higher than the brake. You will see that the quadrant limits the up travel. There is a braket under the quadrant with a switch attached ( don't know what it is for?) using the 2 screws that hold that on fab a piece of sheet metal ( I used 16g)Trim the metal till the clutch pedal is level with the brake. Much easier to drive like this also .

Tony_Montana87

BANNED!
How far do you guys press the clutch? I dont drive stick very often but when i do i dont slam it to the floor but i press it , till it cant go any farther. Is that wrong? Or is it better to press it half way in.

Users who are viewing this thread