clutch sometimes is soft and sometimes difficult...

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
just looking for the exact reason what causes this (pressure plate wear? throwout bearing? clutch fork...lol etc). Its been going on for months, I know the clutch is already ready to go but I just like knowing why exactly things happen, lol. sometimes (well for the most part lately) the clutch is HARD to push in. Nothing im not use to but its annoying. And then sometimes, it decides to get really soft. that lasts a bit and it goes back to being hard and even "spongy" at times. Whats the exact cause of this?

Im putting in an 03 Cobra assembly as soon as I get some cash. Money is extreamly tight right now :/

stang8762

Established Member
Im dealing w/ the same stuff right now and from what i have seen is the clutch cable has alot to do w/ pedal feel and i had the same issue and switched to a new cable and my pedal feel went back to stock but that didnt fix my clutch. As for the clutch i just think after alot of abuse and milage the oem clutch/pressure plate just starts to get old.

BTSMUSTANG

Established Member
I had the same problem with my stock clutch that i recently replaced. It was hard most of the time and then soft other times, sometimes it would change depending on the rpm's. I replaced it with a Ram HDX clutch about a month ago and just recently its been doing the same thing. Sometimes hard sometimes soft. No clue what it is either.

st4ng07

Established Member
Does it happen at a certain rpm everytime? Or just totally random? The way it works, is everytime you depress the clutch pedal its applies the clutch fork to push the tob onto the pressure plate fingers disengaging it. Most commonly its the fingers, since your clutch is on the older side, just a sign of wear.

Users who are viewing this thread