clutch quadrant

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Sorry if this is a repost. I did a search and couldn't find the answer I was looking for. Right now I have stock everything. I installed a spring to pull back on the shift fork so that the t.o.b. isn't riding on the fingers. It works well.

The issue I am having is that I set up the stick quadrant to leave about a half inch of slack in the cable (this way it can be pulled away from fingers by spring). Well it seems my quadrant's teeth are worn and it is slipping causing my cable to have more slack and I cannot disengage the clutch.

My question is this: if I get the upr triple hook quadrant, do I need a firewall adjuster, or just the quadrant. I assume that the three hooks on the quadrant determine how much slack is in the cable (how far you must push pedal in b4 it tightens the cable). If this is the case can I just get the quadrant and pick whichever hook gives me around a half inch of play? Or do I need the firewall adjuster. I thought he firewall adjuster changes where the pedal engages, so with the three hook design it isn’t needed?

Any help is appreciated. I need to figure this out soon so I can fix my clutch. Thanks.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
The Fiore units are also available from Amazon Racing/Amazon Tuning Solutions.

I have both and love them. It is in fact held on by four screws, not three as stated in the previous link. I think this feature came out when he last revised the product.

Many also like the Steeda quick release with the Fiore firewall piece.

You will still be best off with a quadrant and firewall adj. Steer clear of adjustable cables, there isn't a quality one on the market, to my understanding.

Here is a link that may be a little more helpful in explaining the multi-hooking locations...read step 6

http://www.performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-7583-A.pdf

Black04Lightning

I ATE YOUR HEMI FOR LUNCH
Established Member
East Bay Area - Pleasant Hill - California
On my 88 MUSTANG 5.0 LX I have a JR Granatelli adjustable cable and and one hook quick release quadrant and a steeda fire wall adjuster with a lock nut to hold the adjustment ,
I have a LAKEWOOD blow proof Bell Housing ,IM using a FORD RACING billet steel Flywheel and a CENTERFORCE presure plate and disc, I have 1/4 inch free play in the clutch fork ,
before the throw out bearing makes contact with the presure plate .

I hope this information helps my fellow SVTPerformance Member :beer:

Mport_KLR

just a gt;)
Established Member
mblgjr said:
The Fiore units are also available from Amazon Racing/Amazon Tuning Solutions.

You will still be best off with a quadrant and firewall adj. Steer clear of adjustable cables, there isn't a quality one on the market, to my understanding.

i wasnt aware that they sold them. id buy from an svtp vendor anytime i have choice. Also i believe McLeod sells a quality adjustable cable. although it costs $200 :uh oh:

White96

Established Member
I don't think you need the firewall adjust if you just go with the quadrant but im not sure, i bought mine as set

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
my bad larry. It was late last night and i jsut wanted as much help as i could get. I'll pay attention from now on. :beer:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
01_BLK_COBRA said:
my bad larry. It was late last night and i jsut wanted as much help as i could get. I'll pay attention from now on. :beer:

It's no big deal. :rockon: :thumbsup: I give everybody shit that's posts in the wrong forum.

Users who are viewing this thread