Clutch problems...

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Now i dont know if this is actually a problem yet but i do know its different than my car was before install. Now my concern is that my clutch fork has no movement forward or back even without the cable attached. I remember before with my stock clutch it had slight play back and forward before hitting the pressure plate. Car just got a twin disk rxt and now it will not budge by hand. Sat in the car and the pedal is stiff but moves fine and smooth with no binding... I didnt crank the car today as i have a few more things to install... followed directions to a T and now im scratching my head???? any advice.

Cobra03SC

Established Member
I used the stock pivot ball which is pretty short... i have an adjustable one but it seemed to be 2x as long as the stock one. Could it be possible that i need a shorter than stock pivot ball???

604cobra

lethal1
Established Member
" do not start engine "

Imo sounds like the clutch pack install height different and you'll need to shorten the ball length ,,,, clutch fork binding( resting ) against the pressure plate at the pivot ball point ,,,,sense no movement of clutch fork,,,, take trans. out start over measure block to press. plate distance and fork attatched to pivot ball distance than shorten pivot ball height 1/4 "to 3/8" ,,,, fine adjust rest with fire wall adjuster & quadrant hook ,,,,, keep the throw out bearing off the press. plate fingers juz about to touch , W /car running it should not be spinnig.. Only when depressing the clutch it shuold be rotating......good luck hope it helps.

Last edited:

Cobra03SC

Established Member
yeah its not pushing the fingers in, but it does have pressure, im going use the adjustable ball and just thread it 1/4 inch farther in than stock.

TRBO VNM

Pivot ball is the issue. Sounds like you may have bought the wrong pivot ball as well if it is twice as long as stock.

The TOB is ok if it is just barely riding on the finger, just not applying pressure. It is a constant velocity bearing. Spinning all the time is not an issue. But you do need some play in the clutch fork.

Search for lakewood pivot ball. there is a thread that a guy explains how much to shorten it and the correct pivot ball, which is part number 15503

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Pivot ball is the issue. Sounds like you may have bought the wrong pivot ball as well if it is twice as long as stock.

The TOB is ok if it is just barely riding on the finger, just not applying pressure. It is a constant velocity bearing. Spinning all the time is not an issue. But you do need some play in the clutch fork.

Search for lakewood pivot ball. there is a thread that a guy explains how much to shorten it and the correct pivot ball, which is part number 15503

The adjustable one came with the trans and somehow worked on his car and it was adjusted about 1/2 inch longer than my stock one, so i used my stock one. Still too long so im going to cut down the adjustable one to make it 1/4 smaller than stock today.

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Got it about 1/4 shorter today and now there is about 1/8 inch of movement. Hopefully that is enough as its at least got room to move now and isnt binding on anything.

Users who are viewing this thread