Clutch problem...

Sonic03svt

Established Member
My clutch (pedal) has been giving me some issues. It's real sloppy from the top til you can feel it starting to engage the clutch about 3" to 4" down from the top. I was told that there is an auto adjustment mechanism that adjust the "play" in the pedal if you lift the pedal with your foot...this action does NOT work. The only way that I can get my pedal tight again is to push the pedal to the floor, slide my foot off and let it travel to the top on it's own. This doesn't work everytime, but it's the only thing that I can do to make it right. This can't be good on the clutch right?? :shrug: I've only done it a couple of times and have just learned to deal with a sloppy pedal (I didn't want to hurt anything) but is there a simple fix to this or do I have a more serious problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

SpectorV

Established Member
my car was like this when I picked it up, lucky for me I know how to adjust the factory unit, its very easy.

Scoot the seat all the way back and get up under the dash (pain ful... yes... but you got to do it)

once under there you will see the stock quadrent above the gas petal, push and hold the clutch petal down with one hand after it is on the floor take your other hand and hold the quadrent with your index finger on the quadrent where the clutch cable end sits (maybe pinky depending on your positioning)

HOLD the quadrent there, keep pressure on the quadrent and pull it back (down and toward the back of the car) once you have pressure and are pulling on it ease the clutch petal up with your hand that is holding it down. As the clutch nears the end of its travel you will hear a click noise, this is the pawl gear taking up slack on the quadrent.

Do this until the petal is firm at the top (couple times) drive the car and make sure its firm at the top and you have a half inch of travel before the clutch starts to slip.

Go 55mph with your foot on the gas and push the clutch in when the rpms jump thats when the clutch starts to slip.

If you shift hard it will unadjust, if you touch the bottom of the petal it will unadjust, if you hvae TO much tension on it it will unadjust. Min is firm and tight and it has been fine for nearly 2 months.

Users who are viewing this thread