Clutch Pedal has wayyyyy too much play in it after UPR quadrant and firewall adjuster

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Okay, so I got my car back yesterday after having a new clutch pedal assembly and UPR quadrant and firewall adjuster installed. The first thing I noticed is that the pedal shakes like crazy driving down the road. IT"S SO F****** ANNOYING. And also the clutch engages rather low to the floor.

I have done some research, and it seems that the firewall adjuster is fairly easy to access and I can adjust it myself. Now, if I turn the adjuster, will that remove the vibrations in the pedal? Will that tighten up the cable? I know I can get the clutch to engage higher from the floor adjusting it, but will it also remove the huge amount of play? I need answers as soon as possible. After work, I am going to go home and try to adjust this myself before I lose my mind. Thanks in advance!

Also, the mechanic who installed everything says that my cable is stretched and that is why it vibrates. However, my regular mechanic (who was out of town and couldn't do the install) has been texting me saying that the stretched cable shouldn't matter with the firewall adjuster, and adjusting it should remove the play.

I need someone to clear up all of this for me. Do I need a new cable? Or is my current cable still fine, it just needs to be adjusted?

NastyNate420

Established Member
I had the same is after the steeda quadrant install in my mach. When you put the quadrant on its needs to be aligned with the cable coming from the firewall with metal washers. Then washers need to be stack on the post to take up the extra space before you install the pin.
the quadrant sounds like the correct spacers arent on the post caused the quadrant to slip on an angle you you press the clutch and cause for the clutch engagement to change. If you look on steeda quadrant install pics you'll understand better

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
I had the same is after the steeda quadrant install in my mach. When you put the quadrant on its needs to be aligned with the cable coming from the firewall with metal washers. Then washers need to be stack on the post to take up the extra space before you install the pin.
the quadrant sounds like the correct spacers arent on the post caused the quadrant to slip on an angle you you press the clutch and cause for the clutch engagement to change. If you look on steeda quadrant install pics you'll understand better

I might crawl under there tonight and see if he put any washers on them. Would that fix the vibrating? And will the firewall adjuster tighten the cable at all if adjusted?

NastyNate420

Established Member
Im not sure which quadrant you have but there on mine there are 2 diff hook you can put the clutch cable on. Between that and adjusting the firewall adjuster it should be good. The vibrating might be from him not having enough washers on or the washers are to big diameter for the post. it the clutch cable is not aligned right like i suspect then that can cause strechting of the cable and possible chaffing.

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Im not sure which quadrant you have but there on mine there are 2 diff hook you can put the clutch cable on. Between that and adjusting the firewall adjuster it should be good. The vibrating might be from him not having enough washers on or the washers are to big diameter for the post. it the clutch cable is not aligned right like i suspect then that can cause strechting of the cable and possible chaffing.

I think I have the UPR quadrant. There are 2 hooks on that one as well. So basically what you are saying, is that I need to put washers on those 2 spokes, hook the cable on the other hook rather than the one it's on now, and adjust the cable with the firewall adjuster? My stretched cable isn't a problem then??

Doing all of this will stop the terrible vibrating and take out the play at the top of the pedal?

NastyNate420

Established Member
clutch-quad-adjuster-install-11.gif

Quadrant Install

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Yes. The squeaky pedal issue is gone. However a new issue has risen with there being too much slack in the clutch cable.

CJ04GT

04 Oxford White Mach 1
Established Member
Stay away from adjustable quadrant

The adjustable quadrants have been crakcing/bending the metal on the firewall. Mine a 04 blower gt, i had just installed brand new steeda cable kit and the quadrant broke/cracked the firewall aswell. Stay away from the quadrant, switch it back. Thats just me but ive seen it happening a lot lately

Whistler98

Established Member
Adjust it on the firewall to take the slack out of the cable. This should fix it. You can also adjust it at the clutch fork.

ATCzMustang

Established Member
I have the Ford Racing clutch quadrant, and this particular kit does not come with spacers or washers, and doesn't indicate to use them. However, they really are needed to take up the slack on that post, or you'll get extra vibration in the pedal at rest. I just got some metric washers from Ace Hardware with a large enough diameter (sorry I got a whole bag and don't remember the exact size), and added them on the post before the quadrant. It absolutely helped reduce pedal vibration, and add stability. Also keeps that cable lines up perfectly with the hole on the firewall adjuster. Without them, it moved around. Adding a picture for clarity on using the washers.

ClutchQuadrantSpacerWashers.png

Users who are viewing this thread