Clutch line replacement.....

SilverCoyote

Established Member
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new clutch line to replace the stock plastic one. I'm leaning towards the Ford Racing one. I see there are several places making a replacement line, but not many really explaining why their line is better than the next guys. I think Joe Heck made a video showing that the inside diameter in the fitting is bigger. That's a decent reason I guess. Does anyone have any specs on replacement lines they have purchased or want to share why they bought the one they did?

scott_0

Established Member
the Ford part is overpriced, I personally went with a McLeod and I was very happy with the build quality

evil281

Established Member
I also have a McCleod. Not complaints here. I am sure any of the main brands are all comparable when you move to braided lines. Anything is better than stock.

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
The Ford one is VERY VERY overpriced, and is a static piece. No doubt it would work but you can buy a great line for much cheaper. I personally went with the McCleod over the third party (unknown to me) company because I trust their brand. Works great here.

Theory of install is stupid easy. But for me, attaching the line underneath the car was such a PITA because of the space constrictions. If you can attach it in the first try, it should only take you <10 min to install. Probably longer than that to pump the clutch.

SilverCoyote

Established Member
Thanks for the info...!! maybe the McLeod then, they made my clutch too...lol..... I like the tubing part of the Ford Racing one, but... 200 - 250..??

SilverCoyote

Established Member
I have a T56 Magnum XL with a McLeod RXT. I have never been 100 percent happy with the way it shifts, but it's not too bad. I just took the clutch spring out, that was nice. This is the main reason behind the line switch. So I'm going with Motul RBF 660 for the fluid. I'm thinking possibly an underhood heat issue. I have Stainless Works long tube headers and they really throw a lot of heat. I can seriously feel it radiating heat thru the trans tunnel to the car interior after I had them put on. That being said... have any of you guys put any heat shielding on your new clutch line? The factory line has some shielding on it.

QuickHomestead

Established Member
They are all pretty good. I have the SR Performance one from American Muscle it's just as good as any other. Just pick one and put it in. On a side note. JPC has one that is coated. That's nice b/c if you ever get a spill it's easy to wipe off and it looks like the stock lines. It work's the same as the others.

Nuar

Established Member
I have the original Joe Heck Racing line on my car. Works fine.
JPC has a very nice piece that has a sleeve over the stainless steel braid. Looks very nice and works like all the other lines.

cheeser

Established Member
Would there be any benefit of putting a heat resistant wrap around the replacement stainless line?

SilverCoyote

Established Member
Not sure if the heat shield would matter or not. Just seems like the headers really throw a lot more heat off, could be my imagination. I was just trying to do everything I could think of in one shot to give the hydraulic clutch every chance possible to work well.

SilverCoyote

Established Member
I was just thinking, the same way boiling the break fluid can screw with your brakes, maybe if you're boiling the brake fluid in the clutch line it could screw with the clutch operation too. Next time I'm out, I'm going to pull over and take some temperature readings off of the line with laser gun just to get some idea how hot that area is. I'll post the numbers.....

cheeser

Established Member
I was just thinking, the same way boiling the break fluid can screw with your brakes, maybe if you're boiling the brake fluid in the clutch line it could screw with the clutch operation too. Next time I'm out, I'm going to pull over and take some temperature readings off of the line with laser gun just to get some idea how hot that area is. I'll post the numbers.....

Seems like a product like this may be cheap insurance.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-204011?ibanner=MobileSwitchNo

SilverCoyote

Established Member
Well perhaps super high brake fluid boiling points are not needed for clutch purposes anyway. I took my car out and horsed around for about an hour then pulled over, popped the hood and took some temperature readings.

Header tube 400F (then after a few minutes of idling dropped to 300F)
Clutch Line 275F (at the point that was about 2 inches away from header tube)
Brake Resevoir 180F
Cylinder Head 195F (I have a 170 Reisch thermostat)
Supercharger 123F

SilverCoyote

Established Member
Well.... idk..... i guess if you were running the stones off it, the header tube temp could start messing with the fluid in the clutch line. Not sure how high the exhaust temp can get......

SilverCoyote

Established Member
Oh...!! I almost forgot.. Anyone install the bleeder on the clutch line. It doesn't seem like many people talk about using it. Most say pump the pedal several hundred times...lol.. Anyone have any issues with the bleeder if they installed it...?

Users who are viewing this thread