clutch installation questions

2003 Cobra

Established Member
Yes, I know it is a 2003 but the clutch in it really sucks. The pedal is stiffer than hell and the clutch shudders to the point of almost having a chatter. Driving the car is no fun with the clutch in this condition. I only have 500 miles on the car but I hate the darn clutch and have to change it. I've got the Centerforce Dual Friction setup on order and it should be here sometime this week.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Does anyone know how heavy the T-56 trans is?

2) Does the shifter assembly have to come off or is just taking off the shifter handle enough to get the trans out?

3) Flywheel bolts torque spec?

4) Any unusual tricks that you would like to pass along?

Thanks.

03DOHC

Established Member
The stiff pedal will become smoother and wont be as hard once you get a few miles on her.

If your clutch shudders all the time you have something wrong. Mine does it in my driveway and nowhere else. I've written it off as another "Mustang quirk" like the clunk that they all have.

As far as the weight of the T56, heavier than the T45.:)

The trans should be able to come out w/just removing the handle.

Tighten the pressure plate bolts in two stages.
Stage 1: Tighten the bolts to 45 Nm (33 lb-ft).
Stage 2: Tighten the bolts an additional 60 degrees.

I can't find the flywheel to crank torque spec though. Sorry.

03DOHC

Established Member
Those are Ford torque specs so I don't know if it'll be the same for your Centerforce pressure plate.

I'd make the dealer fix it first. It does lighten up some with time. Good luck...

03DOHC

Established Member
Oh, if it's the same as the earlier modular cobra's you'll need a LONG extension to get the top starter bolt out. It's a PITA if you've never done it before. You'll need to get to it from the front of the engine.

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
Why not let the dealer replace it. Wear that one out, then replace with a better one?

Weird...

Users who are viewing this thread