clutch help!!

red04svtcobra

Foxbody search is on!!
Established Member
I have a 04 cobra with approx. 6,000 miles on it making 486RWHP and 511 RWTQ with the stock clutch in it, at least I think it does. My question is when I first bought the car it seemed to have alot more growl when I stompped on it in 2nd gear, spinning the tires. Now it seems to not have as much to break the tires loose. I even tried dumping the clutch going into second trying to break the tires loose and it chirped the tires very little and didn't even continue to spin the tires. I could be wrong but I don't think the tires are spinning at all, tried looking in the rear view mirror to see if I laid some black marks and NONE at all, it just doesn't feel as strong!! Could my clutch be going south on me? The revs don't rev up that quick as I would expect from a slipping clutch so I don't know what it could be. Also, something else I noticed is that when I pulled into my development I was downshifting from 3rd to 2nd and as I was putting it in 2nd gear it felt like the gears where still spinning in the trans, did it going into 1st too. What could be wrong here? I am planning on upgrading the clutch to a spec 2+ or a spec 3, fidanza alum. flywheel, 26 spline liberty input shaft, TOB sleeve as well as new TOB, pilot bearing, Fiore or MM quadrant & adjuster, and some syncromesh fluid. How is this setup? What power will this hold up to? Thanks, Chris

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Considering your power...I'd just go ahead and plan the clutch upgrade. You should be able to hold 550ish RWHP no problem (no abuse with slicks).

Of what you mentioned...I'd swap to a billet steel flywheel. Driveability will be a lot better/easier with the aggressive clutch as well.

When downshifting; you may just be feeling the synchros still turning...but if its "grinding" into gear or it feels like you're "nicking" the gears on the way through the gate...the clutch may not be fully releasing as it should.

red04svtcobra

Foxbody search is on!!
Established Member
Thanks, I am going to try and drive it again today and check some things out and make sure it is slipping or just me. As far as the it going into gear, its not grinding, just making a noise as if the gears are still moving but will go into gear fine.

Users who are viewing this thread