Clutch help!!

TL Terminator

Established Member
So this has happened a few times when shifting into 3rd or 4th gear durring WOT pulls. The car seems to not have full power and I get a nasty clutch smell.. Yesterday it happened and there was cloud of smoke behind me!! I know this is caused by clutch slip and my clutch is now toast but my question is what has caused this. It's almost like the clutch is with not engaging or the transmission is between gears or something. Its very strange. It has a mcleod twin disk

Sent from my LM-V350 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
So this has happened a few times when shifting into 3rd or 4th gear durring WOT pulls. The car seems to not have full power and I get a nasty clutch smell.. Yesterday it happened and there was cloud of smoke behind me!! I know this is caused by clutch slip and my clutch is now toast but my question is what has caused this. It's almost like the clutch is with not engaging or the transmission is between gears or something. Its very strange. It has a mcleod twin disk

How old is the clutch, what kind of quadrant, and what are you using to adjust the clutch?

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I would try to turn the firewall adjuster in a few rounds.

One more suggestion you will likely get is to install an aluminum quadrant. This will allow the firewall adjuster to be more accurate.

TL Terminator

Established Member
I did that yesterday and it seemed to help. I can still drive it but I do get some shutter under load. A also have an aftermarket quad but the previous owner took it off. Thanks for the help

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Give the adjuster a few more turns. If the clutch disk and flywheel aren't glazed over or burned down that should stop the slippage.

Users who are viewing this thread