Clutch going out at 23.5k miles?

CobraHuck

Established Member
Haven't found or heard of many people with clutch issues lately, most threads about this on all the forums were older and people with less than 5000 miles on the car. Just wanted to see if anyone has had issues with more miles on their car. I've got 23.5k on mine and its 100% stock other than Kooks axle backs and HIDs. 2011 GT 6MT 3.73

Last night me and a buddy ran from his house to mine to grab a movie (15 miles round trip). Car was already warm from earlier running around so on the way back I was doing some "spirited" driving, nothing out of the norm or harsh. Never went above 5500ish rpm, got to the end of the road and turned left. Just easy going, went to shift into 2nd and the clutch hung slightly coming off the floor (was at like 2200 rpm so wasn't high rev clutch issue). After that it never felt right.

Now taking off from a stop in 1st or reverse the pedal is hard to predict, stalled a couple times because of this, and the car shudders a little bit. Slowly moving it with the door open to hear, it sounds like bits of pieces are moving around, almost like marbles in the trans.

Anybody else had a similar issue? From my research, it sounds like either the clutch lining coming apart or a clutch/pressure plate bolt issue....I guess I'll have to take it in and hope they'll give me a rental car as this is my only vehicle

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
If its under warranty you get one and dont let them tell you different

Its actually not under warranty. A clutch is only warranted 12months/12,000 since it is a wear item. If it is a defect like clutch bolts coming loose from under torque then its a manufacture defect and is warranty. Wearing of the clutch can be accelerated from driving habit, no different than people who go through tires faster than others.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Its actually not under warranty. A clutch is only warranted 12months/12,000 since it is a wear item. If it is a defect like clutch bolts coming loose from under torque then its a manufacture defect and is warranty. Wearing of the clutch can be accelerated from driving habit, no different than people who go through tires faster than others.

^this /thread.

CobraHuck

Established Member

Hmmm, I didn't think about the wear aspect of it. I've only owned the car since 18,900 miles so I guess it could be the result of the PO. Something is definitely coming apart/has come apart though, just thought it was odd how it happened with no prior symptoms or warnings.

CobraHuck

Established Member
Can the throw out bearing in a hydraulic clutch come apart like the old 5.0 cable clutch cars? This is my first car with a hydraulic setup but my old T5 car killed a clutch when the TOB disintegrated

MoonRider

Established Member
Hmmm, I didn't think about the wear aspect of it. I've only owned the car since 18,900 miles so I guess it could be the result of the PO. Something is definitely coming apart/has come apart though, just thought it was odd how it happened with no prior symptoms or warnings.

Its hard to say how the last owner may have driven the car. But ether way it sounds like your going to need a new clutch installed.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
Easy clutch test...Put it 4th and floor it at a lower speed...If the rpm's jump to redline, you probably a clutch.

CobraHuck

Established Member
^That's why I'm kinda leaning toward something else like PP bolts or a TOB or something. It drives just fine once I'm moving, it only acts weird on takeoff

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

This all the way.

87hatchy

Established Member
previous owner prob beat it to death then traded it lol. Could be the bolts backing out though since yours is a 2011. Only one way to find out. Take it to Ford...

CobraHuck

Established Member
^That's what I'm thinking. Gonna take it to ford Saturday and see what they say. I drove it to/from work today and got on it several times in 3,4,5th gear and it held just fine every time. The pedal movement feels much like an old cable style clutch going out, almost like there's sand in the movement. Idk, we'll see. I'll keep this updated

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
My TOB has been getting noisey lately. Need to pull mine apart also. Would like to throw a new tob, arp flywheel bolts and a boss clutch/flywheel in there while I'm at it.

CobraHuck

Established Member
^Yeah, y'all give some suggestions for clutches if I don't get a warranteed one. I had a Zoom in my old car and loved it, but they don't make one for the new 5.0s (that I can find anyway). All I can seem to find is Ram and McCleod (sp?)

CobraHuck

Established Member
So, I heard back from the dealer today and they said all my clutch/trans issues were caused by a failed EVAP purge solenoid. She was very flustered/distracted/busy so I didn't press for details on the phone but what could that possibly have to do with the clutch?

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
dude.. this is just an excuse to get the spec twin disc.
cant wait for mine to start sipping. wife will make me fix it. :)

CobraHuck

Established Member
Haha true, true :beer:

Clutch is on the list for late spring/early summer hopefully. Gotta get 'er loud and low first :banana:

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
So, I heard back from the dealer today and they said all my clutch/trans issues were caused by a failed EVAP purge solenoid. She was very flustered/distracted/busy so I didn't press for details on the phone but what could that possibly have to do with the clutch?

Absolutely nothing at all.

Users who are viewing this thread