Clutch Choice/Daily Driving

robb15033

Established Member
I can't come up with a clutch kit to pull the trigger on.
-I know it's been asked a thousand times before, but which clutch kit suites daily driving best?
Stock NA Cobra, some city driving everyday.
Thank You,

laddanator

Established Member
Mcleod makes a good daily driver clutch. Not the dual setup. Centerforce makes a good one. I've used them all and I've had the best luck out of the two I mentioned.

robb15033

Established Member
-I've been looking at the Centerforce but only saw the dual disk which is organic/carbon. McLeod sounds awesome. I will research what they have some what reasonably charged. with a little luck and persuasion, it should happen. McLeod would be nice..
-I pretty sure from looking at service records, I am on the 3rd clutch, most likely generic model. Its been tough to shift into gears, slight grinding, TOB, PB worn out.
-What is the deal with throw out bearings. I would use FRPP bearings but heard that the highest quality piece is made from D&D?

97cobra...

Established Member
Ford racing hd clutch pedal feels stock but it bites harder I really like it so far and for the price it's not bad

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
There is no need for McLeod, CF, Spec or really any of them for your needs.

Stock type replacement or the FRPP would be absolutly fine for your needs.

stroked mach

Established Member
i had a king cobra in mine and I have beat the hell out of it for years and I am just now looking for a new one but I like to flat foot shift my car and that's been the down fall to it lol

ESVEETEE

Established Member
Valeo no longer makes the king cobra clutch. UPR lists one as being a king cobra, but it's not the same. It's garbage.

Exedy makes some nice reasonably priced clutches for stock to bolt-on cars.

laddanator

Established Member
I would go McLeod Street Pro over the Kind Cobra. I promise you won't be disappointed. That's just me, do what makes you happy my good sir! :)

robb15033

Established Member
Thank You. I get to order some great parts Friday morning as my Christmas gift from wife. My blood is pumping, anxious too.
-Mcleod clutch & accessories.
-FRPP 4:10 gear set.
-Prochamber & Spintech exhaust completed.
-Some interior warm white LED's & new cluster housing.
-Speed Concept's Brembo package & steel brake lines.

robb15033

Established Member
Borg Warner/Tremec T45
Mustang Transmissions | What Manual Transmission is in Your V8 Mustang? - Borg Warner/Tremec T45With the introduction of the mod motor 4.6L in 1996 came the introduction of the T-45 5-speed manual transmission. All Mustangs equipped with this transmission use an 10.5" clutch. The T45 shares many attributes with the T56, so it is a strong transmission. Its weak link is the 10-spline input shaft which limits power handling. 1996-98 Mustang GT T45 transmissions had an 8-tooth speedometer sensor drive gear and a forward located transmission mount. 1996-1998 Mustang Cobra transmissions had a 7-tooth speedometer sensor drive gear and a rearward located transmission mount. 1999-2001 Mustang GT and Cobra transmissions used an electronic pickup "hall-effect" sensor for the speedometer signal and all had the rearward located transmission mount. 1996-01 T45 transmissions use the exact same shifter as the T5. The 1-2 shift fork is shared between all 96-01 T45s. The 3-4 shift fork was updated in 1998 thru 2001 and is a common upgrade for 1996-97. The reverse fork was also updated in 1998 and there are three different versions available. Speaking of reverse, the T45 was the first Mustang transmission to feature a fully synchronized reverse gear. All T45 varieties use a ribbed aluminum case with integral bell housing. Gear ratios for the T45 are:
Year 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Reverse
1996 to 2001 3.37 1.99 1.33 1.00 .67 3.22

laddanator

Established Member
10.5 is the flywheel surface and the 10 is the number of splines that your transmission has if it's stock. I've had the best luck with the Ford Racing TOB by the way.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Make sure you go with a FRPP HD Throwout and Pilot Bearings. Also inspect your Clutch Fork, Pivot Ball and Throwout Bearing Retainer Sleeve while you're there. No need to take it out twice for something you could have done the first time around. If you're still running the stock quadrant and FW adjuster, I'd recommend upgrading those as well.

Users who are viewing this thread